Cake Seeping Filling And Bulging

Decorating By Terry11621 Updated 26 Nov 2012 , 8:47pm by Sherri2012

Terry11621 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terry11621 Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 8

Hi Everyone! I hope someone can help me soon because I am in a real bind. I have a cake I made for a party on Saturday. It will be covered in fondant. I torted and filled the cake yesterday. I should have just filled it with buttercream but I thought that a raspberry filling would be nice so I damned the cake and filled. I think the damn I made was not stiff enough and the filling is seeping through the buttercream. I know that once I cover the cake with put the fondant it's going to bulge. Can anyone give me any hints on what I can do to avoid that before I cover the cake with fondant? I was thinking maybe to scoop out the filling around the edge of the cake and make stiff buttercream to fill in around the cake. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as I have to put the fondant tonight or the latest tomorrow! Thank you so much!!!!

7 replies
letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 8

What did you use for the raspberry filling? It should be fairly thick, not watery at all. If it's quite liquid, it won't matter how thick your frosting dam is. You'll have a soggy mess.

letsgetcaking Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 8

In this situation, I think I would scrape everything off. Add more powdered sugar to your buttercream for the dam. It should be REALLY thick and stiff. Some people even roll the frosting on the counter into a snake to use as their dam. You can add gelatin to the filling to thicken it. You could also just add a little of the raspberry filling and mix it into your buttercream for the filling.

Terry11621 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terry11621 Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks so much. That what I was thinking. I'm not happy and after the day I have had at work today I will need a large cup of espresso to keep myself up!!!! Have a great night.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 8

I agree and have been there, done that. Take it apart now before you waste time trying to spot fix it. Mix your filling with some buttercream, dam it again, and fill it with the raspberry buttercream. I wasted 2 hours trying to get it to work before I gave up and redid the whole thing. Good luck!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 3:14am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

I agree and have been there, done that. Take it apart now before you waste time trying to spot fix it. Mix your filling with some buttercream, dam it again, and fill it with the raspberry buttercream. I wasted 2 hours trying to get it to work before I gave up and redid the whole thing. Good luck!

I agree with the above advice.

letsgetcaking Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 9:20pm
post #7 of 8

How did it go? Were you able to work it out?

Sherri2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherri2012 Posted 26 Nov 2012 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 8

I have a chocolate cake bottom layer  ( 10" square)  filled with cherry pie filling.  It was bulging on one side, so I took it out and took the other tiers off of it, and dug that side out and "patched" it with rolled buttercream. I only patched that side.  Do you think that will work?  One of my other tiers is filled with blueberry pie filling and I notice a tiny little blueberry stain coming out between the layers in some places through the crumb coat in the refrigerator.  Do you think this will be a problem when I put a final coat of BC on before fondant?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%