Cake-Like Cookies...no!

Baking By cake n bake Updated 20 Nov 2012 , 8:32am by dashen

cake n bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake n bake Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 8

Everytime I bake sugar, chocolate,peanut butter my cookies always come out cake-like i'm following the recipe exactly like it says. The only thing I can think is its the flour and baking powder. I want soft chewy sometime crispy I heard u neef a high ratio of fat. I guess alot of butter maybe even shortening I dont like shortening in cookies. So can some give me advice on how to not make cake-like cookies?

7 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 8

Please, we cannot possibly help you with your general post.

Post for us ONE recipe that you want help with, then we can tell you how to make it less cakelike.

In general, you should not be changing just one ingredient because you heard somewhere that it makes a difference...because you have absolutely no clue what recipe that "advice" started with.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 8

America's Test Kitchen proposed that the chewiness in their brownie and sugar cookie research was due to modifying the ratio of saturated to unsaturated fat in popular recipes.

http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/cooking-with-the-cast/2011/07/make-chewy-sugar-cookies-with-bridget/

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 12:30am
post #4 of 8

I would recommend a simple recipe for refrigerator cookies that always works for me. Of course, I don't know how somebody else's baking technique compares to mine. But these cookies bake up firm/crisp after you have chilled the dough overnight, and it freezes well too

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/neapolitan-cookies-i/

So this recipe can be made all in one flavour, not just the three.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 6:23am
post #5 of 8

Alton Brown did a great show on chocolate chip cookies. I'm sure that it can be found online.

He changed the recipe three times for "the Chewy", "The Puffy", and, "The Crispy". But the show basically showed how he changed the ratios to get the results he wanted. It's these types of shows, along with books, youtube, etc., that help me understand the role of each ingredient and how to manipulate them.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 8

Metria, I saw your post yesterday and last night I made the American Test Kitchen recipe Sugar cookies. They turned out to be the exact sugar cookie I have been looking for since my childhood's bakery favorite. They were crisp on the edges and good and chewy in the center. Crackly on the surface and sparkling with sugar crystals. (I used crunchy large sugar on the tops.) I am in cookie heaven! Thanks for posting it.

Jan

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaid42

Metria, I saw your post yesterday and last night I made the American Test Kitchen recipe Sugar cookies. They turned out to be the exact sugar cookie I have been looking for since my childhood's bakery favorite. They were crisp on the edges and good and chewy in the center. Crackly on the surface and sparkling with sugar crystals. (I used crunchy large sugar on the tops.) I am in cookie heaven! Thanks for posting it.

Jan

yeeesss I love that recipe. When I first made them and ate one, I said, "This is how sugar cookies should always taste!"

dashen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dashen Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 8:32am
post #8 of 8

Block - if the other 40% of the block, you do not diablo 3 gold, then you will be miserable. Obviously Block increased by 40% than to hurt more than 10-20% should be efficient multi. This is not the same with PVE, PVE seeking fast,, PVP diablo 3 power leveling Qiuwen, seeking not to lose

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%