How Do I Arrange Gumpaste Roses On Top Of Cake

Decorating By Kceyp Updated 21 Sep 2012 , 4:31pm by Kceyp

Kceyp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kceyp Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 6

I know how to make the flowers but I think I once read that you need to make a dome to attatch the flowers to so that they are raised is this true and what do I use . I want to get the look of the attatched cake. Thank you
LL

5 replies
sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 6

One way of attaching flowers is by making them on toothpicks and pushing them in.
Another method (what I use) is to make the flowers on wire, then make a bouquet, once all the wires held together are wrapped with florist tape I then push the thick stem in a straw and push that into the cake.
I have also made an arrangement in a ball of gumpaste which was attached to a 1-2'' round cardboard covered with foil.This made it easy to just lift the disc and place on the cake with a dollop of buttercream under to attach.
Some bakers dip each in wire in chocolate and insert individually.HTH.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 6

If they're just sitting on the top of the cake you don't necessarily need any toothpicks. Just attach them with icing if you need ot. Start on the outside and put them around the edge, then fill in the center.

sjlilley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjlilley Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 12:00am
post #4 of 6

I think what you mean is, how do you make the flowers raise up so they are not just sitting flat on the cake? If that's what you're talking about then what you need to do is make a mound of icing (I just use the open coupler on a bag of icing either the color of the top of the cake or sometimes you can use the same green you use for the leaves) using pressure to create a larger globs of icing, just squeeze out a mound somewhat smaller than your bouquet of flowers will be, making it around 1 to 1 1/2 inches tall in the middle, tapering off to just a little higher than the flat top of the cake on the edges.Then just place your flowers directly on this mound starting at the center. Once they are placed add your leaves. This adds dimension and really helps give the flowers a more natural rounded appearance.

You really don't need toothpicks or spikes piped on the back for the top of a cake. If you use wires you don't need the mound of icing because the wires are holding the flowers up in the right position.

HTH

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 3:36am
post #5 of 6

I used a half a polystyrene ball covered in fondant for the ivory cake with roses on top in my gallery. Each rose was made on a wire, and I just inserted them into the ball.

You could also make a mound of fondant or buttercream and sit your flowers on that.

Kceyp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kceyp Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all very much, it was all very helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%