Modeling Chcolate In Silicone Molds ?

Decorating By Formynana Updated 17 Sep 2012 , 8:14pm by vpenkuhn

Formynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Formynana Posted 13 Sep 2012 , 4:25am
post #1 of 6

I have a cake and cupcakes coming up and the customer doesn't like fondant on any of the cake/cupcakes. I thought instead I would use modeling chocolate because she loves chocolate. In using the silicone molds with fondant/gumpaste you use cornstarch. is it the same when using modeling chocolate or can you use that in the molds? thanks ! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
WickedGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGoodies Posted 13 Sep 2012 , 4:31am
post #2 of 6

Yes - keep the modeling chocolate AND the molds dusted with corn starch. That should eliminate sticking.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 13 Sep 2012 , 7:22am
post #3 of 6

Only the slightest bit of cornstarch, add your modelling chocolate, freeze for 5 minutes and it'll pop straight out. Why not go one step further and do pure chocolate or candy melts? I find it easier than modelling chocolate.

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 13 Sep 2012 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

Why not go one step further and do pure chocolate or candy melts? I find it easier than modelling chocolate.

That's what I do. It goes incredibly fast. After I pipe in the candy melts, I put the mold in the freezer for just a minute and they pop right out. I don't use cornstarch or anything.

Formynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Formynana Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 5:13am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for your replies. I do have candy melts also , I may just go with that ! thumbs_up.gif

vpenkuhn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vpenkuhn Posted 17 Sep 2012 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 6

I am making a fish tank cake for my neices BD & I did not want to use fondant for the fish & coral etc, I thought of using just the melts but wonder if modeling chocolate would not be more pliable & easier to cut so the decos do not have to be removed from the cake before cutting? TIA

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%