How To Make A Roulette Cake Spin?

Decorating By JenFailla Updated 14 Sep 2012 , 3:34pm by JenFailla

JenFailla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenFailla Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all-

I'm still a hobbyist, but my friend wants me to make a cake for her husband's bday. She wants a roulette wheel (simple enough). But i wanted to add a special "wow" factor for them- and make the inner part of the wheel spin.

Having said that- I want it to be very cost effective (read: cheap) since this will be gifted to them and the Failla clan is on a super tight budget right now.

It doesn't have to be motorized- just able to spin by twisting the handle in the middle of the wheel.

I thought about getting a cheap lazy susan from Ikea and somehow gluing my cakeboard to that- and maybe building up the outside (the non spinning part) of the wheel in RKT?

Any other ideas on how to do this? I'm "fairly" handy in the building dept so if there is a DIY lazy susan suggestion, I'm ok with tools.

Thank you for any advice! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Jenise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenise Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 4

My first thought was the lazy susan also. I have a cheap one that is for my kitchen cabinets and it is small and spins easily. I found it at either walmart or lowes, not sure which.

Your idea is exactly what I would do, rkt for the sides, etc.

Good luck and don't forget to post pics!

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 4

You can also buy just the bearing, by itself, from any well-stocked hardware store. Home Depot has them here.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100180572&R=100180572

Years ago, I needed a computer monitor swivel that was lower-profile than anything I could find commercially, and made one myself.

Or Rubbermaid has a variety of cheap lazy Susans:
http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?Prod_ID=RP091528

To have the outer ring stationary without having to sculpt cake, I suspect that you'd need either an awfully small lazy susan, or an awfully big Bundt mold.

JenFailla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenFailla Posted 14 Sep 2012 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you for the replies. I'm going to try and work out logistics this weekend. I'll post pics when done. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%