Ok, Need To Vent, So Frustrated About New Business Start-Up

Business By sfandm Updated 13 Sep 2012 , 11:48am by sfandm

sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 11

Nothing is going right.

I have my building picked out, they will deliver it as soon as the neanderthal moves out who is taking up the space, who also is behind on his space rent by over 40 days!

Not to mention I got a really great insurance co. to insure me and my business, including a $1,000,000 aggregate, so I send them my money just to be dropped 2 days later because I haven't been a pro baker for 3 years, but they still have my $$$, and now the insurance agent I have been dealing with is on vacation. How convenient!

I have started receiving things I ordered, including brand new appliances, but have nowhere to put them, and it has been raining!

Tried applying my business logo and info on my vehicle this past weekend which I cut myself with my Cricut and vinyl that was expensive, only for the d*^# wind to kick up, and to make matters worse, the next door neighbor started using his electric saw right about then which blew sawdust and other crap onto my newly cleaned back window, and it also got under the vinyl, so all was ruined!

I need a stiff drink but no vehicle to get it, and town is 10 miles away, not to mention hubby won't be home from work till this evening!

Is this a sign???

10 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 11

Under normal circumstances, not being able to get into a building would invalidate a lease. Check your state laws.

You need to call your business lawyer ASAP to get your deposit on the site back, and cancel the lease because you have absolutely no reason to think that the neanderthal will ever move...

No business layer? Call your state law society for a referral (that frequently includes a free half hour of their time).

The laywer can also deal with the insurance company.

Brand new appliances in the rain??? Have you never thought of making a phone call to delay the deliveries until you have the keys to the space?

sfandm Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 11

I guess I should have linked my previous post to this topic...

I am moving into a brand new mobile building, which I will lease from a co that specialzes in them. Have already signed papers. The place I will have the bulding at has a tenant in a 5th wheel, right by the street, who is behind on his rent. They don't want to touch or move his 5th wheel because he can be a real ass.

As far as the appliances go, my hubby picked them up for me, as I was told that morning that the tenant would be there to move his 5th wheel that day. He is moving after all, but we have also been told this same thing for 3 weeks now, so I have learned not to believe anything the manager of the park says at all concerning this guy.

I would go somewhere else, but you have to understand, there is nowhere else to go, I am smack dab in the middle of the oil boom up here in ND, and I will have a drive-thru bakery when it finally opens. I just needed to vent, maybe get someone to send a stiff drink thru the internet to me. LOL icon_cry.gif

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 11

Welcome to our reality! Opening a shop is rarely a smooth venture. It can be quite irritating to deal with these issues when all you want to do is settle in and start making money. I totally feel your angst. The one good thing is that now you have great stories to share about all this nonsense.

(My best story is about getting approved by the fire department. They were only concerned with the hallway width and measured wall-to-wall stopping every few inches just to make sure my bakery wouldn't trap people fleeing from a fire. Did they ever look at the gas oven hook-up? Nope. After they gave me the permit and left, I turned on the pilot and almost got blown away. A ball of fire shot out from under the oven and scorched my pants along with the far side of the hallway which, by the way, met fire dept approval for exceeding 33 inches in width.)

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 11

I feel your pain! As Mimifix said, everyone who has opened a storefront has gone through some amount of crap to get there! It's certainly not easy, but anything worth doing never is! Hang in there!

That is really odd about the insurance company though- I didn't think you had to have been a pro baker for three years to get insurance. We got ours with no problem.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

Welcome to our reality! Opening a shop is rarely a smooth venture. It can be quite irritating to deal with these issues when all you want to do is settle in and start making money. I totally feel your angst. The one good thing is that now you have great stories to share about all this nonsense.

(My best story is about getting approved by the fire department. They were only concerned with the hallway width and measured wall-to-wall stopping every few inches just to make sure my bakery wouldn't trap people fleeing from a fire. Did they ever look at the gas oven hook-up? Nope. After they gave me the permit and left, I turned on the pilot and almost got blown away. A ball of fire shot out from under the oven and scorched my pants along with the far side of the hallway which, by the way, met fire dept approval for exceeding 33 inches in width.)

OMG!!! That is a good story!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 12:21am
post #7 of 11

The best rule of thumb is it will take double the time and double the money.

SuzyXD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyXD Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 1:56am
post #8 of 11

Don't worry, it's not a sign you shouldn't keep on truckin' along, it's just...well, the beginning of your new job! You are, as owner of a cake shop, the "Head Problem Solver/Fire-Putter-Outter".

And you are going to get so good at putting out fires! (No pun intended to MimiFix!) Obstacles are going to happen, and when it rains, it pours. (I swear, no pun intended again.)

It's the most challenging when all the obstacles crop up at once, and unfortunately those days/weeks are going to happen. Just do your best to solve each crisis one-by-one, and it will be smooth sailing...relatively...again soon. Just say to yourself, "This too shall pass", and at the end of the day have a glass of wine and escape with a good book for 30 minutes before bed to keep that anxiety at bay.

I love your drive-thru concept by the way. That sounds like a lot of fun!

thumbs_up.gif

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 2:06am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyXD

It's the most challenging when all the obstacles crop up at once, and unfortunately those days/weeks are going to happen. Just do your best to solve each crisis one-by-one, and it will be smooth sailing...relatively...again soon. Just say to yourself, "This too shall pass", and at the end of the day have a glass of wine and escape with a good book for 30 minutes before bed to keep that anxiety at bay.

This is so very true. It's like that old nursery rhyme- "When things are good, they are very, very good, and when things are bad, they are horrid."

...err something like that. icon_wink.gif

Books are my therapy! icon_smile.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 2:28am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeCake615

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyXD

This is so very true. It's like that old nursery rhyme- "When things are good, they are very, very good, and when things are bad, they are horrid."

...err something like that. icon_wink.gif

Books are my therapy! icon_smile.gif

That's the one about the Girl with the Curl, in the Middle of Her Forehead, lol, my mom used to say it to me ALL THE TIME, lol, "When she was good, she was very good, when she was bad, she was horrid" (Wonder what she was trying to say???) icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif Actually, after she sent me to live with my grandparents, my grandpa would hold me and tell it to me when I was crying after my grandma smacked me for something... icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

sfandm Posted 13 Sep 2012 , 11:48am
post #11 of 11

Ok, love all the comments and advice. Just UTD info, I will be getting my building on Monday, the other tenant moves out Saturday, he finally got here. Ordering has come to a halt on large items, but the neighbor told me that I could use his bedroom to store whatever I need to, he is such a nice guy.

Got my cupcake boxes and inserts from BRP yesterday, I love them. I will get my neon sign today, and banners arrive Saturday. I got my hubby to fix me a great Marguerita with 2x the amount of Tequila in it, and I was floating that night, then slept for 10 hours, I guess my body needed it.

Will keep everyone posted on the progress, and I plan on taking lots of pics as I progress. Thanks to y'all again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%