Help With Cupcake Sizes

Baking By Lizmybit Updated 13 Sep 2012 , 12:03pm by sfandm

Lizmybit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizmybit Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 7

I have just recently started selling my cupcakes at a local farmers market. I have noticed however that my cupcakes are just a tiny bit smaller than the local cupcake shop cupcakes. I want to invest in some new professional pans and liners and I'm just not sure what size to buy. If I buy new ones I want to get the bigger pans, but I can't really tell what size that is. Currently I am using a mixture of wilton pans and my grandmothers 70 year old cupcake tins.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

6 replies
sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 7

I personally take my pan and measure across the bottom of the inside of one cavity with a sewing tape measure. I don't have pro pans, I use WM brand, and turn down my oven by 25 deg to compensate for the dark pan. They work great!

Just FYI Liz, I have also found that not all cupcake tins are the same, and not all liners are the same size either. To better explain, months ago when I decided to open a business, I placed an order thru amazon and ordered white liners in 3 sizes, mini, regular, and giant, or "Texas" as I call them. The amazon site specifies the size of each liner, and having Walmart pans, that I got for around $6 each, I thought, they'll fit, because I measured the inside bottom of each pan before ordering.

So the liners arrive, and wouldn't you know it, the minis were too small, they slid around inside the pan, the regular sizes were too big, and I had to squish them down in the pan, I ended up throwing them away. As for the large, well lets just say they joined the regular sized ones.

So after doing more internet searching, I found a couple companies that I actually called and got them to actually measure for me the bottom diameter of each liner I wanted, before I placed anymore orders. So now I use the same companies for my liners. All my companies have various colors, and I am very happy with the quality of the liners.

Lizmybit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizmybit Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks sfandm! It's very frustrating! I want to get a bigger pan but I'm not sure waht size to get. Where are you ordering from? What size are your pans? I see on on that say's it's 3.8oz These are the dimensions. Top Diameter (Cup): 2 3/4" Bottom Diameter (Cup): 2 1/16"
Depth: 1 3/8" I'm not sure if this is bigger or not. I think it is. As far as I can tell the regular cupcake tins are 3.5 oz.

Lizmybit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizmybit Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 7

I see now you put that you use WM brand. I've never heard of those.

pieceofcake561 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceofcake561 Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 7

I could be wrong, but I took "WM" to mean WalMart

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 7

I have the mini, regular and king size cupcake tins and have no problems with papers. In the regulars size pans I use the paper liners that are 2' x 1 3/4" tall. These give a taller cupcake rather than the not so tall regular sized papers that is usually used by "mom" to make children's cupcakes. I order my papers from Charming Creations, Good luck!

sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 13 Sep 2012 , 12:03pm
post #7 of 7

To answer your ?, yes, WM is Walmart. They have the darker pans they all carry, for $5.96 a pan, follow my directions above, as dark pans tend to hold more heat.

I also have all three sizes of pans, and I use the 2" wide by 1-1/2" tall liners.

I have found them at the following sites-

If you need to see the pans I am talking about, just go to this link-

This is the Texas muffin pan I have. They are all made by WM, Mainstays is the brand name.

Quote by @%username% on %date%