Fondant Colored Blue And Pink Without Dyes...help

Decorating By stephdover4 Updated 9 Sep 2012 , 1:13am by letsgetcaking

stephdover4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephdover4 Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 10

I have been asked to do a gender reveal cake but mom's son is allergic to food dyes. is there anything I can use to color FONDANT without food colors? Its a belly cake so it will have to be covered in fondant.

The Story: They will have the ultrasound without being told the gender of the baby. The nurse is going to call me and let me know. So, I get to be the only one who knows until they open the cake box at the event!! Yay...I'm so excited!!

Thanks for your advice in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 10

There are natural food colorings available. You can google that. India Tree is a company that comes to mind.

I'd guess that some blueberry, raspberry, or strawberry juice would do the trick, too, if you're making your own fondant.

Rae

Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 12:04am
post #3 of 10

I think this situation is way too complicated for my taste. I would be very cautious if I were you. Very risky job I think.

Anyway if they did not specifically ask for colored fondant or cake maybe you can make an all white cake and fondant with white piping for added texture but use a colored ribbon to incorporate the color. You can make colored gumpaste figurines but attach them to pure white fondant or gumpaste discs before placing them onto the cake. Or if you're not opposed to using non edible figurines that can work as well.

Hope this helps and I would really like to know how you solve this challenge!

stephdover4 Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 12:16am
post #4 of 10

Attached is the cake that she requested.

I do already have a solution if I can't make the colored fondant work. I will just do the top (breast area) in white fondant. and the bottom in pink or blue. I have already talked to her about that and she said that would work just fine.

I was just hoping for another option icon_smile.gif

(She is also a friend and I have feed him on many occasions, so I am fine with his allergies.)
LL

stephdover4 Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 12:24am
post #5 of 10

BlakesCakes... great info! I knew there had to be somewhere to get natural colorings from.

I do make my own fondant and I have frozen blueberries and strawberries on hand but I wasn't sure about adding the juice to the fondant. You just reminded me that I do have a recipe (somewhere) that has lemon juice in it already so I don't see why it wouldn't work just fine.

When I replied before your post wasn't showing for some reason..thanks!!

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 10

I've used beet powder before for red velvet cake--you could try that to tint pink. Any deeper color might taste like beet icon_wink.gif For blue, you could grind freeze dried blueberries?? I would stay away from wet fruit for fondant!!

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 8:26pm
post #7 of 10

I forgot to note that I found a nice bright red beet powder at Barry Farm's website. I think you can get that brand on Amazon, too icon_smile.gif

stephdover4 Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 10:09pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks lrlt2000, I think I am going to at least try the strawberries and blueberries and see what happens before time to do the cake. I don't want any actual fruit in the fondant so I can just take the juice from them and strain out any "meat" left. I'll let you know how that works. icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 10:17pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdover4

Thanks lrlt2000, I think I am going to at least try the strawberries and blueberries and see what happens before time to do the cake. I don't want any actual fruit in the fondant so I can just take the juice from them and strain out any "meat" left. I'll let you know how that works. icon_biggrin.gif

This sounds like it should be fine for the liquid in homemade fondant. I don't know that the colors will be very deep, but hopefully you'll get a nice pastel.

Please post pics!
Rae

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 9 Sep 2012 , 1:13am
post #10 of 10

Another thought is to leave the whole fondant dress white and make the cake inside pink or blue. That's how I've seen most gender reveal cakes done. No one can tell the gender until the cake is cut. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%