Fondants?

Decorating By Crowsbutterfly Updated 4 Sep 2012 , 4:30pm by Crowsbutterfly

Crowsbutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crowsbutterfly Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 2:02am
post #1 of 3

Hey guys! I have a cake order coming up in a couple weeks for a small two tier(topsy turvy) cake. The customer wants the cake to be zebra print. I want to do this with fondant, but u have never used any type of fondant before. I am leaning towards rolled buttercream for the taste and simplicity of the ingredients as this cake job is on a budget! I've tasted fondant only once before(I think it was rolled fondant) and thought it was disgusting!) so I'm not crazy about the idea of using it. Ive been doing a lot of research and for my purposes I'm not sure rolled buttercream would be the best thing. Could anyone with more experience give me some pointers? As far as difficulty of use that's not such a problem I'm not easily defeated, but because the fondant will be patterned I don't think it could be easily repaired if it tore(besides being greasy, this is the biggest issue Ive read about with rolled buttercream). I was thinking I would roll it out between two sheets of parchment paper, then stick it in the fridge to chill for a bit, would that resolve the tearing issue?

Thanks in advance!

2 replies
MarisParis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarisParis Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 3

I would use fondant, you can make your own (very inexpensive), and you can find the recipe here on CC, just search for Marshmallow Fondant. The fondant you've tasted was probably the Wilton brand (very chemical tasting), but if you don't want to make your own fondant look for Fondx or Satin Ice Fondant online or at a Cake Supply Store. Those brands actually taste pretty good, more like marshmallow. And a good online tutorial for making a zebra print cake with fondant is actually found on a cake supply stores website in Nashville, TN, SweetWise. Just go to sweetwise (dot) com and go to videos and then technique videos and click on the zebra effect video. Good luck!

Crowsbutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crowsbutterfly Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%