Royal Icing Dried Very Funky

Baking By Gina_B Updated 30 Aug 2012 , 11:09pm by cheatize

Gina_B Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gina_B Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 5

Hey there!

I am making Yo Gabba Gabba! cookies for my son's 1st birthday and to save time, I was thinking of making the characters as transfers to save time. Muno, a big red fella came out perfectly. His icing (three colors, red, black and white) dried perfectly smooth.

I am attaching the beggings of Foofa, a pink girl. I used Americolor's Deep Rose and Wilton RI mix (its the only think I have available here). My husband was the one in charge of coloring as he has a great eye for it. He started with the darker pink and lightened it by adding Wilton white. I don't know what we did wrong. I am attaching pictures, maybe someone here can advise me how to correct this?

I will say we have been having some rain here, so maybe humidity is a factor? I do have that tarter powder which I know can act as a stabilizer but I don't know how much to put in a batch.

Please help!
LL
LL
LL

4 replies
Gina_B Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gina_B Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 12:19pm
post #2 of 5

Bump! Come on guys, you mean to tell me that this had happened to no one here? icon_sad.gif

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 5

In May I did some wedding cookies that were black and white. I made a batch of royal icing and colored 1/2 of it black with Americolor black coloring. The white was perfectly smooth on the cookie, but the black dried bumpy.

Not sure why the color would make it dry that way.

sugarkissed_net Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarkissed_net Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 5

I've seen this happen before. Check out this post by Cookies and Cups: http://cookiesandcups.com/a-longhorn-story-royal-icing-woes/ If you read through the comments, you might get some ideas on what to troubleshoot.

Hope this helps!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 5

I've had it happen before. I don't know the cause. It seemed like either there was too much coloring, it wasn't mixed enough, or it was just a bad batch. I made a new batch and the second batch worked fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%