Sugar Flowers

Decorating By masherwood Updated 28 Aug 2012 , 12:42pm by masherwood

masherwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
masherwood Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 10:48am
post #1 of 6

Hello Ladies,

BTW, I love this website and forums and I think you all are great! So much information!

With that said, I really need help. I love, love making sugar flowers. I just bought more flower cutters and tried out the peony cutters this past weekend. I used 50/50 for the "dough". I make the center and let it dry almost 24 hrs before I tried to put it together. While wrapping the wires started coming out of the pistols and broke apart. My question is...Is it the 50/50 fondant that is breaking it apart?

I live in Louisville, KY where it is very humid. Could it be the humidity?

I love making flowers on wire but they always fall apart or break on me when I'm trying to put them together.

Help!

I really value your opinions

Mary Anne

5 replies
Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 11:04am
post #2 of 6

I always use 100% gumpaste for sugar flowers. Make my own with Nicholas Lodge's recipe. I only use 50/50 mixture when I am modeling figures.

By the way, ICES convention will be in Lexington next summer. You need to make plans to attend.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 12:32pm
post #3 of 6

Yep , 100% flowerpaste for flowers, particularly if it is humid.
And the Nick Lodge is the best and easy to make.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, humidity will affect your sugar flowers. Rather than 50/50, its much better to use a fine pure gumpaste for flower work. In humid weather you may need to use a food dehydrator, or dry bits in the oven overnight - no heat, just under the oven light.

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 12:38pm
post #5 of 6

Hi masherwood, I would also only use 100% gumpaste, are you dipping the end of the wire into gumpaste glue before inserting into the petals? you will need to leave them to dry and the gumpaste adhere to the petal before attempting to put together, a tip that I found on a website (can't remember where) is to insert the glued end of the wire into the petal and to then use a veiner to press onto the petal, this will help to hold them wire and petal together. HTH icon_smile.gif

masherwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
masherwood Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 12:42pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all do much. I will try the 100% !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%