Cake Pan Suggestions

Decorating By dantherex Updated 21 Aug 2012 , 12:11am by dantherex

dantherex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dantherex Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 6

I need to buy a set of square cake pans for an upcoming event.

Does anyone recommend any cake pans that have worked for them more efficiently then the wilton brand?

I've seen some that also have sort of an outer edge rim, idk what its for. Any type of metal you recommend?

Also, what's the difference between a 3 in and and 4 in height. Does one cook faster then the other, what size do you use? I have some 2 inch and I hate them!

5 replies
WickedGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGoodies Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 6

Hi there Here is a post on the topic of cake pans that answers your questions:

The function of the lip is to strengthen the pan's rim so it can better maintain its shape over time. No lip means it will be easier for the pan to get warped or dented. Whenever possible, go with the lip!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 6

My favorite are MagicLine (found them thanks to the recommendation of many CC members). I definitely prefer 2" deep pans, they cook more evenly. I bake 2 layers, fill one pan about 1/3-1/2 full and the other 2/3-3/4 full (depends on recipes). I level the smaller cake, and torte & level the taller cake so I have 3 layers of cake, 2 layers of filling.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 6

2-inch deep Magic Line

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 6

I also use Magic Line! They are very thick, do not stack within each other and I have never used a heating core or baking strip. My cakes turn out super leveled and with no humps. And because the sides of the pans are straight, I get straight cakes as well.

I use the 2" icon_smile.gif

dantherex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dantherex Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 12:11am
post #6 of 6

Alright so I found these on amazon. Question : Can anyone tell what sizes come in the set because I can't see anywhere were it says so.

Also, what I understand is that the 2 inch can be cut into 2 layers?

Quote by @%username% on %date%