Color Scheme Help!

Decorating By nixickle Updated 17 Aug 2012 , 10:28am by Jennifer353

nixickle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nixickle Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 10

My sister-in-law has asked me to make her wedding cake for her wedding in Oct.

She has no set color scheme for her wedding and doesn't know what she wants on a cake.

So far I have the following information:

The flowers in the church will be red, gold and orange.
The groomsmen are wearing silver, violet and grey
The bridesmaids are in burgundy and possibly silver shoes
The flower girl is in pink and white
The table decorations are paper aeroplanes of all colors
The wedding invites were burgundy and gold.

So.....if you were asked to make a cake for this wedding, what colors would you go for??

The cake has to travel 600 miles! (965 km) so the design needs to be kept simple.

Any ideas? I'm getting a bit lost with this one! I'd initially settled on burgundy and gold, but now I'm just not really sure if that's her, or maybe I should just go for lots of colors...but the problem is trying to keep the wedding cake tasteful rather than messy (I'm still a beginner at this so it could easily turn into the latter!)

Many thanks in advance for your help!
Xxx

9 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 10

WOW - thats one colourful wedding icon_wink.gif and a lot going on in the way of colours

Me - i would probably do an all Ivory Cake - to keep things sinple yet elegant..
But then - toooooooooo many colours do my head in. icon_lol.gif
Perhaps Ivory - Burgandyor Orange with a touch of Gold - at least those 3 colours work well together and the cake won't look lost in amongst the areoplanes - pink flower girl - bridesmaides and groomsmen.
Lets not forget - the food and drinks have to be added to the room - and the guests and all their outfits.

Look forward to seeing what you create..

Bluehue

JanDunlevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanDunlevy Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 10

This is one of my favs! Haven't had a chance to do it yet.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2198994/plum-burnt-orange-four-tier-fall-wedding

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 10

I think I'd go with less is more on the colour front too!

Ivory/white with a touch of shimmer/silver? Or possibly white/ivory with a little pink and violet?
My thinking on these colours is that for the cutting of the cake the bride and groom will be standing beside it. I wouldn't go with anything that would clash with either of them (I assume he is wearing the same colours as the groomsmen?).

Another thought though: Will her bouquet (assuming she has one) and his button hole have the same flowers as the church? Is it normal to put the bride's bouquet on the cake table (it's a popular thing to do in Ireland)? Maybe then white, silver and gold?

Or join in the colour mayhem and go for black or something striking and incorporate all of the other colours if you wanted - eg black fondant with tiny blossoms in all the other colours sprinkled on it? Depends how traditional a look she is going for for that one though!

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 10

Do you know why there are so many colors that really don't go together? I mean is the bride clueless about color, or perhaps she just loves color in any fashion. If she isn't in need of color, I would make it elegant and simple. White shimmer, or white crystal, or white lace.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2329812/crystal-sugared-wedding

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 10

Wow! That's a lot of colors! Maybe instead o trying to match the colors you could make a simple autumn theme cake. Make some gp oak and/or maple leaves to put on it. Simple and elegant.
Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

nixickle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nixickle Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 5:33pm
post #7 of 10

Lol, oh your comments have made me giggle! And cheered me up so thankyou!

Just to answer a few questions:

The groom is in the air force and so will be in his blue and gold uniform.
The brides flowers, last I heard were pink lillies though I will double check this as that is a very good point about the bride placing her bouquet on the table....though nothing about this wedding is tratitional so I have no idea if that is what is what she is planning on doing....I will check that one too thankyou!

I think there are several reasons why there are so many colours for this wedding...firstly the bride has no idea what she wants and so has jus let everyone else choose what is happening...so the bridesmaids chose the burgundy, the groomsmen chose the violet, she's letting me do whatever I chose on the cake and the flowers were chosen by the church as the next day is the harvest festival and so te church will already be decorated!

I love the ideas of just ivory, that was my very first thought as I so love all white or ivory wedding cakes, but then i changed my mind when everything was sounding like burgundy and gold were featuring heavily; I was told initially that that was the colour of te bridesmaids and the flowers and then it was the colour of the invites too! Then I was VERY shocked to hear about all th other colours and it completely threw me!! And then she told me that she wants every colou under the sun!!

So....I know I've probably thrown a few more colours there into the mix!! Confused?! Yeah me too!! icon_wink.gif

Xx

lovinspoonfull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinspoonfull Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 7:07pm
post #8 of 10

I think some lightly dusted, shimmery leaves on a cream colored cake would look beautiful. You could probably bring in just about all of the colors that way!
Also, one of the prettiest fall cakes I have seen in person was a very simple 3 tiered, square cake in ivory with swiss dots, and sugared fruit here and there on the tiers. It also had some flowers tucked in a few spots. It was so elegant.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 8:46pm
post #9 of 10

Every color under the sun is easier than trying to force burgundy, violet, and pink to match...
Here's another idea: have every color under the sun in the cake. Add gel color to the batter and layer it in the pan. That would be a nice surprise when they cut it. Especially if the outside of the cake is all white or ivory!

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 10:28am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixickle

I love the ideas of just ivory, that was my very first thought as I so love all white or ivory wedding cakes ............. And then she told me that she wants every colou under the sun!!

Given the above if you think she is serious, what about joining in the colour mayhem and making it a funfetti style cake? You could also make it one of the cakes completely covered in sprinkles or go conservative on the outside with just ivory and have the colour on the inside. You could get sprinkles in autumny colours or just go with normal random colours both of which would match some parts of the wedding!

Cant wait to see what you go make!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%