Cracking Gumpaste

Decorating By cal32 Updated 14 Aug 2012 , 9:26pm by cal32

cal32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cal32 Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 10:30am
post #1 of 8

Hi guys,

recently, most small items that I make from gumpaste are cracking, it is reallt annoying because it's days and days after they have been made and left to dry, and by the time I go to use them, they break and then it's kinda too late to do it again. things like shoe straps and peppa pig's tail, thin things. I have tried putting in loads of tylo powder, is there such a thing as too much? I put about a tsp into a piece the size of a tangerine, can tylo go bad, maybe mine is just no good, any help much appreciated x

7 replies
Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 8

Perhaps you should try Nicholas Lodge's gum paste recipe. It can be found online. It works great. Perhaps the recipe you are using may be faulty. Better luck with this one! icon_smile.gif

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 8

Are you talking about fondant with tylose added, or actual gumpaste?

Perhaps try working a little Crisco into your product.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 8

Yes! You can have too much tylose. That's probably why things are cracking. If you're making your own gp, follow the recipe(no more or less than what is called for). If you're buying premade gp, don't add any more. It has enough.

cal32 Posted 13 Aug 2012 , 8:17am
post #5 of 8

thanks for replies, i have been adding tylose to ready made fondant, maybe i will try making my own from now on, will give that recipe a go, thanks again x

Sugarsweetcafe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarsweetcafe Posted 13 Aug 2012 , 4:40pm
post #6 of 8

adding tylose to fondant isnt gumpaste. I suggest trying Nicholas lodge recipe. Its just royal icing with tylose powder in it. Its amazing icon_smile.gif

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 13 Aug 2012 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 8

Tylose added to fondant will not give you the same flexibility and stability that a gum paste does. For some things I do add tylose to fondant but for modeling figures or making figurines I use either a 50/50 gumpaste fondant blend or straight gum paste. There is a lot more elasticity and moldability to gum paste and you do not get the same cracking you describe with the fondant/tylose mix.

cal32 Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 8

thanks so much for your advice, no wonder I was having problems xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%