Interesting Ipod....a Little Advice

Decorating By Chefperl Updated 9 Aug 2012 , 2:38pm by Pearl645

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 7:39am
post #1 of 4

i was asked to make a cake for an ipod themed party. She wants a cake to feed apx. 200 ppl and wants multiple cakes. So she came up with this idea and now I am trying to price it. For years I was under pricing, and now I am finally at the point where I feel like I am charging enough for my work, but this cake seems to be so expensive when I price it with the formula I have been using. I realize it may be a lot of work, but am I over thinking it?
The idea she had was rather than one large ipod touch cake, she would make the table look like the ipod and each cake would be a different app. She wants 12 apps in all plus the little roundish square thing at the bottom of the ipod. So 13 cakes in all. I figured 8x8 squares would be enough cake. so 13 8x8 cakes, that is a lot of work. She does not want printed sheets, she wants fondant cutouts of the pictures. She sent me all the apps she wants, some are easier than others, but still nothing that is going to take 5 minutes. (mail, calendar, settings, contacts, safari, settings, maps,, video, itunes, music, angry birds sapce, ninjago hunt).
I know that every city and state varies in pricing, but I was wondering what is reasonable for such a creation? I came up with a price of about $1400. does that sound totally crazy?

3 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 12:30pm
post #2 of 4

Holy cow, no, that sounds like a ton of work and a ton of cake! I charge $140 for a fondant-covered 8" square, so if you're doing 13 of them $1400 isn't at all out of the range of normal, especially for custom work that she wants you to hand cut one by one.

that's assuming that you're doing two-layered cakes... That would give her a lot more cake than she needs. If you're doing one-layer cakes I still wouldn't cut the price down too much, it's the decorating time that's going to kill you on this one, not the baking time.

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 4

thanks. i knew it didn't sound crazy, just needed to hear it from someone else i guess. Thanks!

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 4

Yeah wow that is a lot of work! Let us know how it goes and if she is willing to pay for all those cakes. Guess this party of 200 persons must be really important to her.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%