Advice Needed

Decorating By bellacakecreations Updated 6 Aug 2012 , 4:19am by bellacakecreations

bellacakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellacakecreations Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 8

Yesterday was hell. I was delivering a full dessert table setup (baby shower) and a four tier wedding cake when we were rear ended. The dessert table cake, cake pops, cookies, choc. strawberries, marshmallow pops, and decorations were all fine but the wedding cake was on the bumped side (he hit us at an angle trying to avoid hitting someone else) and was ruined. Nothing could be salvaged. It was 2 hours until the reception and I had an extra 6" tier so I decorated it and three styro-dummies with the same filigree piping and fondant drapes. Had my husband run to the store (the only bakery open icon_sad.gif ) and buy enough crappy sheet cakes (which of course were decorated with purple and hot pink icing that I had to scrape off and re-ice) to feed the guests and got everything to the reception 5 min. after it started. icon_cry.gif

I don't expect to get paid in full obviously but is it appropriate to get reimbursed for the price of the sheet cakes at least. I mean the bride and groom got the decorated cake they wanted, they could cut the top tier and serve it to each other for pics, and the wedding guests got served although it was crappy store bought cake ( though I will say we went the extra effort and avoided Walmart)

This has never happened and I never dreamed it would be because some idiot was hopping in and out of lanes trying to speed through traffic. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

7 replies
gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellacakecreations

I don't expect to get paid in full obviously but is it appropriate to get reimbursed for the price of the sheet cakes at least. I mean the bride and groom got the decorated cake they wanted, they could cut the top tier and serve it to each other for pics, and the wedding guests got served although it was crappy store bought cake ( though I will say we went the extra effort and avoided Walmart)

Sorry this happened to you, and kudos to you for ensuring they had cake. However the couple did not get the cake they wanted. You gave them decorated 3 decorated dummies, which is not what they ordered. They paid for "a cake" that was made from cake, not styrofoam. Also while it is great that you got them sheet cakes so they had something to serve, that was not what they were paying you for. I assume they had a tasting and as a result of that tasting contracted for that particular cake to be what their wedding cake was constructed from. Again I think it is admirable that you took these steps, but do those steps equal the cake they ordered?

I think your goodwill and extra effort should be compensated for by the clients; however, they should receive a full refund or refund what has been paid and not the remaining balance.. No matter what was provided it was not what they ordered. Charging them would be asking them to pay for something that they did not order. That said I think they should compensate you for your effort, but they should not be presented with a bill.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 6 Aug 2012 , 12:17am
post #3 of 8

You actually need to put a claim in against the guy that hit you.

bellacakecreations Posted 6 Aug 2012 , 12:23am
post #4 of 8

Chellescakes That is SO happening.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 6 Aug 2012 , 12:26am
post #5 of 8

You will need to include the cake in the claim.

and well done at pulling a rabbit out of the hat and having something there for the couple.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Aug 2012 , 3:40am
post #6 of 8

Yep, we are all, essentially, "self-insured" when it comes to these types of unforseen events, meaning that we take it in the pocket.

Maybe something can be squeaked out the auto insurance settlement(s) to make you whole. It may just wind up being a business loss on your taxes.

Sorry it happened, but congrats on going so far to make it as right as possible.

Rae

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 6 Aug 2012 , 3:45am
post #7 of 8

Make sure you have commercial auto insurance coverage, some regular auto insurance policies may refuse the claim if they find out you were using the vehicle for business.

If I were in your situation I would explain everything to the customer and ask how much they felt was fair to pay for what they got.

bellacakecreations Posted 6 Aug 2012 , 4:19am
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone for the responses. I decided not to say anything and leave it up to them. We'll see what our insurance will do about it. I just hope they know I did my best to keep it from ruining their day and I pray that it NEVER happens again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%