Stacking Dummy Cakes???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 31 Jul 2012 , 11:49pm by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 11:36am
post #1 of 13

Hi Cakers!

I am wanting to make a dummy cake (Styrofoam) this weekend. 10" and 6" round tiered cake. Iced in buttercream.

My go to support system when making the real deal are bubble tea straws. However, these straws will not go through Styrofoam.

How do I support the iced dummy's when stacking so that the icing on the 10" does not smush out when the 6" is placed on top?

Thanks!
Michael

12 replies
Addictive_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Addictive_desserts Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 13

Dummies don't need support but you can put parchment paper between the tiers to protect the buttercream.

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 13

Why would you put buttercream on the top center of the bottom tier? I don't know the buttercream design you are doing, but for dummies, you can stack and then frost to make it easier.
I have never found a styrofoam glue that works. They seem to take forever to dry.
I use hot glue and toothpicks. I "peg the bottom tier with toothpicks, Then I take one really short thin wooden dowel and mark the center of each tier. Make a small hole in the bottom of the top tier. Place the thin dowel in the center of the top of the center of the bottom tier.
Place hot glue on bottom tier, line up, and push together

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 12:52pm
post #4 of 13

Doesn't hot glue melt your dummy? I use regular white wood glue, and toothpicks/skewers.

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 1:09pm
post #5 of 13

I never had a problem with hot glue for styrofoam. BUT I never let the gun touch the dummy. The tip of the gun is too hot and causes a melt spot. Wood glue is a good choice if the drying time is acceptable. The benefit of the wood glue is that you have a lot more time to line up your layers

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 13

I've just used wood skewers from the dollar store. Double sided tape worked as well.

Mikel79 Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 4:50pm
post #7 of 13

I ice my cakes the way Sharon Zambito does.

I cannot stack the cakes first and get the desired smoothness, crisp edges, and polished looked the BC gets when doing it the SZ way.

The icing on top of the 10" is going to be about 1/4" thick/high. I would think lowering the 6" on top of the larger cake would smash the top icing on the 10" out to the sides.

I am wanting to build my cake collection and icing the dummies to perfection is my goal...

I appreciate the feedback

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 7:19pm
post #8 of 13

You can just put a slightly thinner layer of BC on top of the 10". The 6" won't be heavy enough to "smoosh" out the BC on the 10". Just let the BC on the 10" set up/crust well before applying the 6".

No need for any supports or special method of stacking them. Pipe a bit of fresh BC on the landing spot for the 6" and sit the 6" down. It'll be fine.

Rae

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 7:47pm
post #9 of 13

I use a little white glue and it works well. icon_smile.gif

lovinspoonfull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinspoonfull Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 8:47pm
post #10 of 13

I don't possess the skill to ice an already stacked dummy, so I do it just as I would with real cakes. I ice them on boards, let set up a bit, pull off board and stack with a little BC as glue in between. I have done this with both royal and a shortening based icing. The styro dummies are so light they have never smooshed each other!

Mikel79 Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 8:59pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks folks!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 9:12pm
post #12 of 13

they are prob light enough u dont need supports but i use the straws anyway to be safe. just cut them the thickness of the icing on top only.

Mikel79 Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 11:49pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

they are prob light enough u dont need supports but i use the straws anyway to be safe. just cut them the thickness of the icing on top only.

Thanks SZ!!!

You are the best!!!

=)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%