Which Rolling Pin Is Best To Use For Fondant?

Decorating By lisa728 Updated 22 Feb 2014 , 12:50am by Leahmaria7981

lisa728 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa728 Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 4:01am
post #1 of 10

Hi, I'm new at using fondant and I've also been out of the cake decorating scene for a while, it's amazing what's gone on with fondant in the past 5+ years. I found an 18" Aluminum Rolling Pin at Food Service Warehouse (I believe it's restaurant quality) for $22.49 and from what I've read this type is one of the best to use with fondant, is that true? Is this a good price? Are the marble rolling pins good for fondant also? My daughter is having a baby, I've decided to make the cake (jungle theme), but I'm on a small budget. I want to make sure I only get what I need, but at a good price. Can you guys help me out? Thank YOU!!!!icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 4 Aug 2012 , 4:39am
post #2 of 10

In my opinion there is not right or wrong one. It is just what works best for you. I have several different kinds and I always seem to fall back on the old wooden one that was my grandmothers. Some decorators even use a piece of PVC piping.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 4 Aug 2012 , 8:25am
post #3 of 10

I purchased a couple different types of rolling pins but my favorite is my marble rolling pin. The weight of the marble makes it easier to roll out my fondant. My husband broke my first marble rolling pin so my mother gave me hers boy was he lucky.lol

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 4 Aug 2012 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 10

I have a marble one that I love and use for pie crusts. But my favorite for fondant is the 3" diameter aluminum one I saw Sharon Zambito use in her DVDs. I promptly ordered one and haven't regretted it. That, combined with The Mat, has made fondant a breeze.

Jan

101Food Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
101Food Posted 18 Feb 2014 , 3:10am
post #5 of 10

I also love using my aluminium rolling pin for tasks like fondant and pastry. I was also very budget conscious and bought one online for about $35.00 - hospitalitywholesale was the website I used and have since used them again for odds and ends.

nikki1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1227 Posted 18 Feb 2014 , 12:54pm
post #6 of 10

I use a marble rolling pin as well. I find it especially useful when using "The Mat". It has just the right amount of weight and really can get the fondant as thin as I like.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 1:55am
post #7 of 10

I have a big piece of 3" pvc pipe for covering cakes. It was cheap and I love it. It is perfect. For flowers I use the smaller Wilton acrylic roller

SweetMelissa730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa730 Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 4:07am
post #8 of 10

AThe marble ones are great because of their weight. It really helps yours arms and back not having to apply so much pressure to get the fondant thin, unless your looking to get a workout while your caking, lol. :grin: I have heard great things about that large aluminum one too. I have a long, skinny silicone wrapped one with no handles. I love it and use it for everything but you have to work to get your fondant thin. So for covering cakes I suggest something heavier.

celiazumbach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
celiazumbach Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 9:27pm
post #9 of 10

A3'' PVC pipe for me is the best. And cheap. I push out the fondant rather than roll. It comes in different lengths. Watch the static though it will pick up fluff so I keep them in a calico bag.

Leahmaria7981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leahmaria7981 Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 12:50am
post #10 of 10

I have a Cake Trick rolling pin and I LOVE IT! This thing is like 9 pounds and with that weight theres no effort rolling. Also has a lifetime warranty. I'm really hard on rolling pins, like really hard...lol. I tend to bend the handles, but not with this one. It's a bit pricey, but so worth the money. http://www.caketrick.com/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%