Cake Design App... What Would You Like To See?

Decorating By esangston Updated 10 Jul 2013 , 11:50am by DeliciousDesserts

esangston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esangston Posted 30 Jul 2012 , 9:26am
post #1 of 11

Working on an app for cake designing. I've been in the market for a good paint like app since i started decorating with almost no luck. So I'm wittering one. I was wondering what fellow cake decorators would like to see inan app.

Currently its basically a paint type program where you would select your cake shape from a list of templates, or just start with a blank screen. You pick from colors from Wilton and Americolor, but also have the ability to create acustom color. I'm working on the ability to put in generic flowers and the ability to draw a figurine or character and put it in place. I'm also adding a section to list flavors of cakes, icing and filings and compile it all into a document you can email and print. Its quite a work in progress but I'm rather impressed with myself and how far its come lol...

What functionality would you look for in an app? Its strictly a design app so I've only been pulling from my personal want list and figured I'd ask for another decorators opinion since we all decorate differently.thanks for your input in advance.

10 replies
MamaSonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaSonya Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 1:49am
post #2 of 11

I have also been looking for an app, with no luck. In fact I stumbled across this post while doing a search for cake designer apps. I would want as many cake shapes as possible and a feature to mix and match them. An option to draw your own would be good too, since there will always be odd shapes. The colors to choose and make that you mentioned is great. Many different flowers would be great. Also a text box that you could make notes on the actual cake (for example: "3 red roses here" or place sea shells here". This would come in handy for anything that does not already have a pre-loaded picture. A way to upload an existing picture would be great for a bride who has a picture already but wants to alter it. This way you can upload the picture and draw any changes on top of the existing picture. A way to e-mail the image would be nice to e-mail it to the client when it is all drawn out. I would be VERY interested in buying this app. I am purchasing a tablet soon for this very reason. If possible please e-mail me if this comes available at [email protected].

Punkilicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Punkilicious Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 2:21am
post #3 of 11

I would love the ability to place the cake shapes in different positions. I don't know how it would work to lean a cake on it's side on top of one layer and against another layer, but even if we could turn the different shapes so that your layers aren't all facing one direction would be nice.

Tiffany0481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany0481 Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 2:41am
post #4 of 11

First, I would absolutely be interested in an app like this so PLEASE let me know when you have completed creating it or need testers ([email protected]).

Second ... all of suggestions that were made and you have added are great. I think that along with colors it would be a good idea to also add patterns like the quilt, bricks, stone, dots, etc ... to add details to the cake. Also a "pencil/pen" option to draw your own details on the cake. A ribbon and bow tool would be great too!

I often use Paint, but find that it is extremely limited and I end up getting more frustrated than it is worth.

Good luck and I will continue to try and think of ideas!!

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 11:28am
post #5 of 11

Adobe ideas has a great layering system you could try to emulate- being able to import photos- make them slightly transparent, sketch over the top of them and then remove the imported photo is so handy.

What would really set it apart from other drawing apps would be a system of incorporating your costings so you know what ingredients you will need, how much fondant, filling etc etc, and thus will know how much this cake will cost you to make. I guess youll need pre-loaded 8inch round, 16inch squ etc shapes to make that work and a good algorithm for scaling up/down so the user doesnt have to input costings for every single template.

You may be able to get some advertising money by being brand specific in your costings section; eg you will need 2kg of satin ice, users would probably find that a pain (I would) and it probably wouldnt work internationally, but many apps do it in some form.

HTH- if you need a tester Im only a PM away icon_smile.gif

Addictive_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Addictive_desserts Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 8:26pm
post #6 of 11

Love all those ideas and we all desperately need something like this!

I just hope it's an app for the apple market?

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 11

Best of luck on your programming venture! Eons ago I bought a program (Wedding Cake Designer Pro) I think. For $70 it was OK, but it really didn't do what I wanted. Now I use Powerpoint to make my basic cake / tier setup and then sketch over them.

What I would like to see is the ability for the cake shapes t have handles that could be skewed to some degree. Think of a basic round cake shape - it's a cylinder. Now have a draggable handle on each "corner" of that cylinder. Drag one side down for a wonky tier... push in the 2 bottom handles to make the cylinder more cone-shaped (also for wonky cakes). Hope that made sense!

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 9 Jul 2013 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 11

I am looking at Wedding cake design pro.  While searching on the site I ran across this post.  Has anything come of your efforts?  Would be interested to hear.  Thanks

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 5:38am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilabelle 

I am looking at Wedding cake design pro.  While searching on the site I ran across this post.  Has anything come of your efforts?  Would be interested to hear.  Thanks

I bought it and used it twice. I hate it! You have to guess at what sizes your cakes are, there is nowhere to just punch in numbers, or select. You drag a point to get the sizes of each tier, I just want it to be more scientific, or perfect.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 11:41am
post #10 of 11

ADoes anyone know if they have updated the software? I have contacted the company via email and am awaiting a reply.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 11:50am
post #11 of 11

AI would also like the app to aid in coloring frosting & fondant. There are hundreds of threads asking how to make x color! Would be nice to include the Pantone formulas or something.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%