Topsy Turvy

Decorating By janetwhitson Updated 23 Aug 2013 , 12:04am by sweetsbysandra

janetwhitson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janetwhitson Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 17

My cousin has asked me to do her wedding cake. It will be my first wedding cake and so I am very nervous. She wants a topsy turvy, either 3 or 4 tiers. What size cake pans should I use?

16 replies
doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 17

Well to determine the size of pans, you will need to know how many servings you will need.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 17

start doing a little research on topsy turvy. There are a couple different ways to do them. I do mine with 3 layers per tier, if it were an 8 " tier I would use a 8, 8, and 6. 8 on top & middle 6 on bottom and carve down to the 6 to get the taper. They are a little complicated so if it is your first wedding cake you might at least want to do a couple small practice ones first.

janetwhitson Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 17

I have done some research and plan on doing the method where the cakes are actually level but the top is slanted and then carving down the sides . I've done stacked cakes before with the biggest tier being 10". Her wedding is the first weekend of September so I have one month left to practice and need to start ASAP! She is also having a desert table and only specified that she wanted 3 or 4 tiers. The number of servings doesn't seem to be the issue. I think she just wants 3 or 4 tiers for the look of it.

paulstonia Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 17

So, you are going to carve out a level spot on the top to sit the next cake in? This is how I do them.

janetwhitson Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 2:09am
post #6 of 17

Yes, I will be carving out for the tiers to sit on. So my question is...what sizes for the different layers to get the best effect. On a regular cake, I would make sure there is at least a 2 inch difference between the tier sizes. Is it the same for the topsy turvy cakes?

paulstonia Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 2:56am
post #7 of 17

Ok for a 3 tiered cake you could do a 10, 8 and 6 " tier. Bottom tier would have a 10, 10 and 8" on bottom. Middle tier would be an 8, 8, and 6" on the bottom. And the top tier would be a 6,6 and a 4" on the bottom. But most people don't have a 4 inch pan and I think it might be too small to work with. I was going to do this for a two tiered cake that didn't need many servings but ended not making it so I don't know if it's feesable. I think it would be better to just to do an 8" tier and 10" tier and add a 12" for the bottom tier, that would be a 12, 12 and 8" on the bottom. Does that make sense?

TaraLynRRT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TaraLynRRT Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 3:28am
post #8 of 17

I'm confused...you said when making your cakes you would do a 8/8/6 top tier, 10/10/8 middle and 12/12/8 bottom tier...shouldn't that be 12/12/10?? Don't you make your bottom layer 2 inches shorter when carving down?

Thanks,
Tami

paulstonia Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 5:17am
post #9 of 17

yes, sorry that would be a 12 12 and 10. If this was a standard two layer 3 tiered (12, 10 and 8 ) It would serve 118. But these tiers are 3 layers ( at least 6" tall) although you'll be carving a little off.So I'mnot sure how to figure servings but it would at least still be the 118.

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 3:02am
post #10 of 17

I just made a topsy turvy for a wedding this month. It is in my gallery. It is a 4 tier. The tiers are:

Top- 8,7,6 carved down to 6
Second: 10,9,8 carved down to 8
Third: 12, 11, 10 carved down to 10
Forth: 14, 13, 12 carved down to 12.

I figured the servings on the smallest layer of cake for each tier, 6, 8, 10, 12

I would recommend getting Sharon Zambito's Topsy Turvy DVD. It was a great help for me.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 4:17am
post #11 of 17

Huh. I just make an 8" cake, fill it, put a 7" or 6" cake board on top, use it as a template to carve it on the slant, then flip it up-side down. Never thought of baking different sized layers.

paulstonia Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 6:22am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Huh. I just make an 8" cake, fill it, put a 7" or 6" cake board on top, use it as a template to carve it on the slant, then flip it up-side down. Never thought of baking different sized layers.

It saves a little cake from being carved away. Unfortunately I only have cake pans in even numbers, no 7, 9, 11, so I still waste a little bit.

janetwhitson Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 2:05am
post #13 of 17

Thanks for all of the help. Next question...is it easier to carve the cakes if they are frozen?

WickedGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGoodies Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 5:44pm
post #14 of 17

. I carve when the cakes are quite cold, either refrigerator cold or frozen. Hope this helps.

justveggin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justveggin Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 4:22am
post #15 of 17

craftsy.com has an awesome topsy turvy class you can take taught by Richard Ruskell. I love the classes I've taken so far!

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 1:34am
post #16 of 17

If you have the time to order it, I highly recommend getting the Topsy Turvy DVD from Sharon Zambito (Sugarshack). She helped me a lot when I made my topsy turvy cake.

sweetsbysandra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbysandra Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 12:04am
post #17 of 17

for 50 peoples what size should I use????

Help....,having trouble here....., thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%