What Type Of Cake Board Do You Use?

Decorating By ss4haynes Updated 30 Jul 2012 , 1:22pm by unctoothlady

ss4haynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ss4haynes Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 5

I buy the cardboard boards at the party stores, but once the cakes on on them and decorated, they aren't as sturdy as they should be. I have had buttercream cakes "crack" across the middle when moving it icon_sad.gif I have started hot gluing a couple of boards together and that has helped a lot. When a client came today to pick up a cake (3 tiers, fondant) the bottom tier started "buckling". I think the bottom board was not supporting it enough. Should I be using plastic boards?

4 replies
mudderteresa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mudderteresa Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 5

I was using cardboard and now i am actually just converting to masonite...they are much more expensive but so worth it...

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 5

I use either foam board or cake drums for up to 3-4 tiers, masonite only if it is super heavy. Be careful which brand of cake drums you buy, some brands are stronger than others - I order mine from DecoPac or CK Products.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 5

I use 1/2" foamcore boards for up to 3 tiers and I double it for anything taller. I also use 3/16" foamcore boards under each tier.

Rae

unctoothlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unctoothlady Posted 30 Jul 2012 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 5

I either use foam core (preferred) OR I have used two cake boards glued together. Also works great.

I use the latter when I don't feel too much like cutting the foam core.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%