Hi All! And A Couple Questions

Decorating By kristiemarie Updated 24 Jul 2012 , 11:22pm by shanter

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 3

Ive been out if the loop for some time....I got pregnant and it's been a rough road. No caking here. thumbsdown.gif Sorry I've been MIA...I hope you folks have all been well!

My daughters fifth birthday is coming up and I want to do something really special for her. Her great grandma is buying the cake again this year (tradition) but I am going to make her a special little 6" pillow cake with a glass slipper on top.

I've been out if the game a but and have massive pregnancy brain so I'm hoping you folks can help me out.

1- pillow cake. Basically this is just a carving thing, right? Like I make an 8" cake and carve it into that cute pillow shape? Any tutorials you suggest for a first timer? how do you get that nice domed top?

2- fondant. I want to do a ruffle around the pillow and some tassels and bows ( really girly). You can put gum paste into mmf, right? How much? Why can't I remember this! Lol.

3- Glass slipper. I posted on the sugar forum about how to make a sugar glass slipper if you want to check that thread. But what I'm trying to do is make a gelatin shoe out of sugar instead. I did forget to ask if I can find a shoe mold in stores and where. Because regardless, I'm making the glass slipper either out of sugar or gelatin.

Thanks for any help you can give!

2 replies
SweetTzippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTzippy Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 3

Hello there, hope this helps:

1- pillow cake.
Wilton sells the pans in shape of pillow, although you have to buy the set that comes with 4 pans. Otherwise you may bake a larger cake, as you suggest, and carefully carve to desired shape.

2- mmf fondant.
You can either mix 50/50 fondant/gumpaste to make it easier to ruffle, but if your question is if you can stick gumpaste to fondant, yes you can.

3- Glass slipper.
Easiest is to buy a cheap plastic mold and fill it with unflavored gelatin.
Isomalt looks more like glass but you need to buy an expensive mold.

Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 3


There are lots of high heel molds out there, but make sure you get one that will take the heat of sugar or isomalt if you use those (usually says suitable for hard candy). If you do it with gelatin, probably any would work. I searched "high heel mold" in Google.

Quote by @%username% on %date%