Baby Rattle??

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 24 Jul 2012 , 10:18pm by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 10

Hi fellow cakers!

Can I get your help?

I made a baby rattle this weekend and used Styrofoam balls to make it with. I had a really hard time covering the balls in fondant.

Can I get some helpful tips on how to successfully cover a styro. ball in fondant?

Thanks!

9 replies
Mikel79 Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 9:44am
post #2 of 10

icon_wink.gif

Bump.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 10

If you couldn't get the fondant to stick to the ball, I would brush some water or piping gel in the inside to make it stick.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 12:36am
post #4 of 10

Unless you're making a giant rattle, I wouldn't even attempt fondant - except for poured fondant. If you're attempting cake pop-sized spheres, covering them with regular fondant is going to be next to impossible. Dip them like cake pops and you'll have better luck with them. HTH

Mikel79 Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 1:28am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgifford

Unless you're making a giant rattle, I wouldn't even attempt fondant - except for poured fondant. If you're attempting cake pop-sized spheres, covering them with regular fondant is going to be next to impossible. Dip them like cake pops and you'll have better luck with them. HTH

That is a good idea!

My problem was not the fondant sticking to the ball, but actually just covering it.

cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 1:19pm
post #6 of 10

To cover any round item such as a ball or rattle is hard. Is the rattle small or large?
If it is the size of a cake ball then dipping it would work or continue to play with the fondant covered rattle in your hands until it is smooth (thicker fondant is better to make up for stretching & smoothing).
If it is large like the size of a ball pan. Then I cut a small circle out of cake board and attach it to the bottom so I have a flat surfice to work with. Then cover like a normal cake (try to cover like a normal cake). Hope this helps

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 1:44pm
post #7 of 10

You can also try molding out of modeling clay.

Mikel79 Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 3:43pm
post #8 of 10

I appreciate the feedback! The rattle is small. The first ball is about 2" in diameter the other about 1". I cut the balls in half and then covered them. This seems to help. I am going to try it again. icon_wink.gif

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 6:12pm
post #9 of 10

I recently made baby rattles for display using 1" styrofoam balls. I dipped them in melted almond bark just like regular cake pops. I did have to dip them twice - the almond bark filled in all the little hole in the styrofoam so they had little divots all over them after the first dipping. Then I decorated them and they worked out fine.

Mikel79 Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 10:18pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgifford

I recently made baby rattles for display using 1" styrofoam balls. I dipped them in melted almond bark just like regular cake pops. I did have to dip them twice - the almond bark filled in all the little hole in the styrofoam so they had little divots all over them after the first dipping. Then I decorated them and they worked out fine.

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%