Help With An 18 Wheeler Big Rig To Serve 150 People.

Decorating By fedra Updated 22 Jul 2012 , 7:33pm by CWR41

fedra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fedra Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 6

I have been asked to make a 18 wheeler big rig cake to serve 150 people. I have figured that I can make the cabin out of fondant and the trailer box iced in buttercream. I'm thinking that this trailer box is going to have to be REALLY long to serve that many people. What do you guys think about two DOUBLE layer 12X18 sheet cakes (cut in half so it would be 6 in wide) placed end to end. That would make this cake about 3 feet long. The cake would be about 4 inches tall since I will cut EACH sheet cake in half and place the other half on top with filling inside and then place a board in between with another repeat layer of another 12X18 sheet cake/filling. A 12X18 gives me 72 servings but I round that down to 65 (for servings lost with supports) but I would have cut each filled sheet cake in half to make it 6 inches wide instead of 12 then Ill get 32 servings for each individual section (4 filled double sheet cakes sections, stacked end to end) then I'll have a total of 130 servings. The truck cabin will make up the remaining 20 servings. I hope I haven't sounded to confused (lol). Any help or suggestions are strongly appreciated. Thanks!
Fedra

5 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 6

Too confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedra

A 12X18 gives me 72 servings...

A 12x18 serves 50-54... you need three of them.

fedra Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 6

The servings I got were based on the Wilton standards. I also know that most bakers base each sheet cake serving as one from a standard one layer, no filling sheet cake. Every cake I make (including sheet cakes) come with 2 layers and one filling minimum, so this is what I'm basing my servings on. Also, I don't really see how I can stack 3 12X18 sheet cakes and still have an evenly proportioned trailer box.
Fedra

CWR41 Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 6

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Tractor trailers are taller than they are wide... you don't want a flatbed that's 6" wide and only 4" tall. If you make it 6" tall it will look more proportionate and you'll get enough servings (using a board in the middle at 3").

fedra Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 6

Light bulb just went off in my head!! I totally see what you are explaining CRW41. Thanks!
Fedra

CWR41 Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedra

Light bulb just went off in my head!! I totally see what you are explaining CRW41. Thanks!
Fedra

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%