Looking For "cake" Cook Books...

Baking By srkmilklady Updated 21 Jul 2012 , 1:58pm by Norasmom

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 6

I love to use the WASC cake recipe and do so quite frequently. However, I am also looking into making more "scratch" recipes. I do have several cook books that are from the 1970's and 1980's that have cake recipe sections in them but I am looking to buy something new that is just basically cakes.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any favorite cook books with cake recipes that you have made and loved! If you could recommend one or two books, what would they be?

Thanks.... icon_smile.gif

5 replies
MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 6

My favorite is The Cake Bible. Loads of great recipes inside. I highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_8?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=rose+levy+beranbaum&sprefix=rose+lev%2Cstripbooks%2C151

Good Luck and Happy Baking

rjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rjcakes Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 6

I highly recommend The Cake Bible and The Whimsical Bakehouse. The Cake Bible has alot of analysis on why cakes and buttercreams do what they do - Rose can get quite technical! But I've found some people don't like her cakes because they are drier than your typical american cake from a mix. (her mixing method is different that the creaming method). I've had good luck with tons of her buttercreams and cakes and I love the end where it has scaling for larger cakes. I've also had good luck with the WBH - I've made their buttercreams and their ganache is awesome and I've made many of their cakes.
HTH!
RJ

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 5:30am
post #4 of 6

Rose's Heavenly cakes is supposedly an improvement on some of the Cake Bible recipes. You could look into that too. I've only tried 3 of the Cake bible recipes and they were unimpressive. I still think it's a great book though. The buttercreams look like they would work, and the analyses of recipes can be a guide to developing your own recipes in the future.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you all for your responses! I will definitely check these books out. thumbs_up.gif

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 1:58pm
post #6 of 6

I Like Roses's Heavenly Cakes. however, there are recipes for other kinds of cakes in the book, such as coffee cake, bundt cake, e.t.c. I just made red velvet cake from the book, it was wonderful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%