Top Half Of Cake Fine - Bottom Half Dense?

Decorating By Jules_Milo Updated 25 Jul 2012 , 4:23am by fidaharry1106

Jules_Milo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jules_Milo Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 6

Hello! First post here. I'm trying to troubleshoot what's going wrong with my simple chocolate cake but after about four tries, it's coming out the same.

The top half of the cake is beautiful. Light and airy. The bottom half is a little dense, yet still spongy and a little more moist than the top half. Not like a brownie but it seems like it may not be cooking long enough?

I've tried different temps (until the knife comes out clean) and still happens. My batter is on the liquidy side, a thicker than maple syrup but not too thick.

This is my recipe in case you see something off. I'm also going to try and attach a photo. As you can see toward the perimeter of the cake, it's less soggy. Toward the middle there's more soggyness.

1/4 c white flour
3/4 c whole wheat flour
1/2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
6 T unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 c unrefined sugar (I don't like sweet cakes) icon_smile.gif
1/2 c applesauce
2 T oil
1 c warm coffee
1/2 c milk
2 eggs
1 t vanilla extract
dash of salt

Julie in Louisiana
LL

5 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 12:01pm
post #2 of 6

The recipe has some issues. Too much leavener and liquid; and applesauce. Many people try using applesauce as a low-fat substitution for oil, but the results don't bake up the same. I would try cutting the applesauce to 1/4 cup and increasing the oil to 1/4 cup. But that's just a guess. I'd also cut the liquid and leavener. Or look for another recipe.

laella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laella Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 6

This is similar to the recipe on the hersey box. but they have 1 tsb baking powder and they leave out the applesauce and up the oil to 1/2 C.

while baking do not open the oven until it has baked for 30- 35 min or the cake will not rise and become flat. Ofcourse depending on the size of your cake the baking time will vary

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 6

Two issues in the posted recipe:

--way too much liquid, you need to add at least 1/4 cup each kind of flour.

--nowhere near enough acid to make the baking soda lift the cake. Increase baking powder to 1 teaspoon and skip the soda altogether (it adds sodium bot nothing else to this recipe).

Jules_Milo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jules_Milo Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 1:46am
post #5 of 6

Thank you for all the quick responses!! I will try all of your suggestions! icon_biggrin.gif

fidaharry1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fidaharry1106 Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 4:23am
post #6 of 6

min or the cake will not rise and become flat. Ofcourse depending on the size of your cake the baking time will varyImage

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%