Making 3D Characters

Decorating By MrsMcTasha Updated 19 Jul 2012 , 9:02pm by MrsMcTasha

MrsMcTasha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMcTasha Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 1:38am
post #1 of 11

Hi All!

I want to start practicing making small 3D characters like animals, little people, but I'm not sure what icing to use. I have tried to use Wilton's Ready Made gumpaste, but when putting the head on the body of a girl, the weight of the head squished the body. It was way too soft and I kept adding PS to it (I think the food coloring I added made it extra soft).

What is the best icing/material to use for 3D characters and can you give me the recipe?

Thank you in advance!
Tasha

10 replies
ConfectionsAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsAK Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 1:47am
post #2 of 11

I made my first 3d cake yesterday. I can't say that a certain icing was better. I used wilton, mmf, and duff goldman fondant. I found the the more you work the fondant the softer it gets, unless you happen to get a new batch at the store, then that is already soft. I found that if you do it in increments, letting the first layer of fondant get slightly firm to the touch before adding the next piece, seemed to help me. But then again, I am new to this, so I just wanted to add my two cents.

MrsMcTasha Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 1:53am
post #3 of 11

Thank you, ConfectionsAK.

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 5:43am
post #4 of 11

When using fondant or gumpaste to make figures with, it's best to let each part dry separately overnight. Once they're dry, you can assemble them together.

I prefer to make figures out of modeling chocolate though. It's faster and you don't have to wait for the pieces to dry overnight. Plus, it's easier to blend in seams with chocolate vs. gumpaste.

I've got a modeling chocolate recipe on my blog: http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-make-modeling-chocolate.html

MrsMcTasha Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 11

Thank you, AngelFood4! That is so helpful. I made modeling chocolate for the first time but it intimidated me a bit. How do you color it? I read that you need cocoa butter mixed with the gel color, but never did it.

trebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trebakes Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 1:35pm
post #6 of 11

I've used modeling chocolate 3 times and added Wilton gel colors when I needed it to be colored. Remember the off white color of "white" chocolate will effect the final coloring so you will need to add more color for a blue or red. HTH

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 3:14pm
post #7 of 11

I have very good luck using Wilton fondant with Tylose powder added. I don't use Wilton for covering cakes (most of mine are bc, anyway) but it's great for figures.
Some of my favorites:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hjscakes/4298814436/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hjscakes/3913264640/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hjscakes/4113711674/in/photostream

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMcTasha

Thank you, AngelFood4! That is so helpful. I made modeling chocolate for the first time but it intimidated me a bit. How do you color it? I read that you need cocoa butter mixed with the gel color, but never did it.

Once you have the modeling chocolate made and it has set, you can knead in the gel colors. Don't knead too much or else it starts to break down and melt from the heat of your hands. Usually, I'll knead in some color, let it cool down for a few minutes then continue to knead. No need to add cocoa butter.

luckyblueeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyblueeye Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 4:02pm
post #9 of 11

I mix my modeling chocolate with fondant...it's excellent to work with, sets up like fondant but gives the flexibility and extra time of modeling chocolate. I use about 1:3 ratio. I just made Winnie The Pooh this way...way easier than fondant alone.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 4:17pm
post #10 of 11

I like to use Satin Ice with Tylose powder added. Some people like to use a 50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant. If I am making a person I like to make the body and head and let them both sit awhile before putting them together. When adding the arms I attach them to the body as soon as I make them and use cotton, paper towels or something to support them until they dry in position.

I have been wanting to try usind modeling chocolate but haven't had the time to play with it yet.

MrsMcTasha Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 9:02pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you for the great advice everyone. I am going to play around with your suggestions to see which one I live best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%