Dummy Cake Questions

Decorating By thebittersweetbakehouse Updated 16 Jul 2012 , 6:24pm by Relznik

thebittersweetbakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thebittersweetbakehouse Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 12:02pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all so i'm wanting to put some display dummy cakes together to put out at shows.

Do you treat the polystyrene tiers the same, and cover with BC before fondant covering and dec's, or will this spoil so should i go for edible glue instead?

Any other tips tricks or ideas for dummy cakes before i start would be greatly appreciated.

4 replies
Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 5

I use either a thin smear of piping gel or shortening , or in a pinch honey under the fondant.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 5

Like the previous poster, my first choice is a thin brushing of piping gel. But if I'm out of it, I've been known to use a little boiled jam. Or failing that, just plain old water will do.

thebittersweetbakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thebittersweetbakehouse Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 5

ok great thankyou. i have brought some 'luxury fondant sugarpaste' i brought a sample pack at the London EXcel cake show. I made some butterflies and roses, which came out great, but after about 2 or 3 days they went completely soft....any ideas why this happened?

I understand sugarpaste will keep indefinitely if kept in air tight container, but if i was to make larger show pieces, would the sugar paste and fondant on these eventually go soft too??

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 6:24pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebittersweetbakehouse

ok great thankyou. i have brought some 'luxury fondant sugarpaste' i brought a sample pack at the London EXcel cake show. I made some butterflies and roses, which came out great, but after about 2 or 3 days they went completely soft....any ideas why this happened?

I understand sugarpaste will keep indefinitely if kept in air tight container, but if i was to make larger show pieces, would the sugar paste and fondant on these eventually go soft too??

Sugarpaste is just fondant - ie no strengthening agent in it. You need to add some CMC (Tylose) to it to give it some strength.

Humidity will have a BIG effect on it, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%