Securing Cupcake Cake!?!!!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 13 Jul 2012 , 7:53pm by step0nmi

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 1:14am
post #1 of 7

I am traveling this weekend about an hr and a half away from my home for a going away/engagement party. I want to make a cupcake cake since we're gonna be outside and i think it would be easy enough for people to actually want to eat it and then don't have to cut anything.

I am not finding any tips on how to SECURE the cupcake cake on the board/box. HALP?! driving that far away i know the area we are going to have to go through is slightly bumpy and i just need some ideas on how to keep everything together since this is going to be a very special cake for my best friend!!

TIA icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 1:51am
post #2 of 7

When I was taught how to make them, I was told to put a little bit of buttercream on the bottom of each cupcake to stick it to the board. Some people will say it will be messy for those eating them but I've never found it so. The buttercream dries and isn't wet when the person eats it.

step0nmi Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 3:01am
post #3 of 7

yea, i have heard of the bc...I was just thinking there has to be a more secure way. I will be transporting them in like 90 degree weather and BC is just not going to hold i think

kss1217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kss1217 Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 3:34am
post #4 of 7

I made a few of these in the last couple of months (in the heat) and one was driven 40 minutes away; the other one close to an hour away. I used store bought Duncan Hines vanilla frosting and piped a dot of frosting on the bottom of each cupcake wrapper before decorating. After all of the decorations were done, I put it in the refrigerator until it was ready to leave home. Cooling the cupcake cake helped them stick to the cake board.

There was no shifting and when everyone picked up their cupcake, there was no mess from the wrapper because they simply peeled the sides down and placed it on their paper plates.

Two that were made are in my photos below. I hope this helps.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 4:55am
post #5 of 7

Perhaps breaking a toothpick in half, pushing it through the bottom of cupcake and the cake board along with the dot of buttercream would work.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 4:58am
post #6 of 7

I use white candy melts. It sets up quickly and securely, but when removed there is no messiness.

step0nmi Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 7

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES! I think I might go with the candy melts...thanks KoryAK icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%