What Size Icecream Scoop?

Baking By joaquinfan Updated 16 Jul 2012 , 5:21pm by clairesey

joaquinfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaquinfan Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, I am getting quite confused with sizes of ice cream scoops (3T's, size 20's, 6cm etc) and really don't want to end up getting the wrong one!

I am in England, so cup measurements mean little to me. I'm thinking of getting one which is 6cm across, but I'm not sure if that's too big, or small, or if I should just go with a 20, although a 16 is bigger??!!

I am making average cupcakes in cases that have a 5cm base and a 7cm base and would ideally for speed only want to use one scoop per case.

I can easily get hold of size 8, 12, 16 and 20. Or 4, 5 or 6 cm. I can't seem to find anything with a 'T' after it. Can any one direct me in the right direction?

Thanks so much.

3 replies
sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 4

OK, Joaquinfan, I have my scoop I use all the time here in the USA, the cm measurements across are 6cm, and about 3cm deep, it is the same as a 3 and 1/2 Tablespoon scoop I use for my regular size cupcakes. The bases on my liners are 5cm in diameter and the sides are 3cm high. I use the glassine liners from Country Kitchen Sweet Art in Indiana. Are you going to making the minis as well? I use a different scoop for that one. Let me know if you need measurements on those too. I don't make the large size cupcakes, or the 7cm as you stated, but you will probably want to get a seperate scoop for those, so that all are uniform. I have a company I go thru that has ALOT of different scoop sizes, between us two, we can figure this thing out. Let me know.

BTW, our birthdays are 1 day apart, I am November 8th.


DivaJai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivaJai Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 12:03am
post #3 of 4

I don't know about sizes etc but I use the yellow handled NSF disher (ice cream scooper) I scoop it full of batter and level off with the straight edge of a butter knife for uniform cupcakes everytime. I used this method for the cupcakes in my photos. Here is a link to the scoop I am referring to.


clairesey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clairesey Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 4


Am in UK too, I bought a 6" one and found it too big, so got a 5" one which is OK, but you need a little extra in it (you dont scrape it up the side of the bowl) Id reccommend a 5.5" one, you can find them on ebay

Good luck


Quote by @%username% on %date%