Rainbow Cake, Help!

Baking By maimai16 Updated 13 Jul 2012 , 1:10am by PinkLotus

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 1:23am
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone icon_smile.gif

My daughters birthday is on thursday, i wanted tosurprise her with a very colorful cake. She loves rainbow btw. After seraching the web, ive come across 2 kinds of rainbowcake. From scracth and boxed one, which one tastes better? And i also read that it is hard to make. Can somebody pls share their tips in making my daughters cake a pleasureable one icon_smile.gif

Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

10 replies
maimai16 Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 1:25am
post #2 of 11

And if you would like to share your tried and tested recipe, i will really appreciate it icon_smile.gif

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 2:06am
post #3 of 11

It's OK to use a white cake mix from a box. You have to make sure you use only egg whites for the blue and purple batter. So you need 2 cake mixes. Easiest to bake 6 thin layers because then colours are nice and separate. OK to use foil pans.

Mix one box with only 4 egg whites plus oil water as on box. Divide into 3 and add blue, purple, green colours. I use Americolor brand gel colour because bottles are small and cheap.

Mix other box with 1 whole egg and yolks left from #1, oil and water as on box, divide into 3 and add red, orange and yellow food colour.

Stack with white icing of your choice.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 2:36am
post #4 of 11

My friend made this one for her daughter. So delicious.!! I saved the recipe, but haven,t make it myself. Making it from scratch would taste so much better than box. hth Also, look how vibrant the colors are. So beautiful

http://www.makebetterfood.com/recipes/rainbow-birthday-cake/

SweetNSassyTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetNSassyTreats Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 2:46am
post #5 of 11

Check out my photos...of a rainbow cake. I would use the WASC with AMericolor dye

maimai16 Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 3:36am
post #6 of 11

Thank you so much ladies... You save my time in browsing the net icon_smile.gif will post result soon icon_smile.gif

PinkLotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLotus Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 3:47am
post #7 of 11

You can use any white/vanilla cake recipe. I made one, and it was actually a snickerdoodle (cinnamon) cake recipe, because it was for my niece's birthday and her mother wanted that flavour. I just used a little less cinnamon than the recipe called for and while the colors weren't quite as vibrant as other rainbow cakes, it still came out looking great!
LL

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 8:57pm
post #8 of 11

PinkLotus, your layers are beautiful!!!

PinkLotus Posted 11 Jul 2012 , 10:49pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you!! icon_biggrin.gif

maimai16 Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 1:13pm
post #10 of 11

Thank you everyone icon_smile.gif

My daughter loved it icon_smile.gif i didnt realied that it was so easy to make just got to have lots of pan if you hate wash and use right after using them..

Heres the pics icon_smile.gif
LL

PinkLotus Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 1:10am
post #11 of 11

It looked great!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%