Cake Job

Decorating By jess20 Updated 10 Jul 2012 , 3:20pm by kimbm04r

jess20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess20 Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 5:45am
post #1 of 6

I'm not sure where this post would go or if any one could help me out. A neighbor asked if I could do a wedding cake for her daughter in laws wedding and she said she would pay me for it. My question is how much should I charge? It is going to be a 5 tier cake most likely in butter cream, maybe fondant not sure. The cake will be from scratch not a box, the design will be simple maybe some roses. I am not any kind of professional just like to do this for fun and she liked my other cakes. oh ya and the other thing, I have never done a wedding cake or a 5 tier cake. So as a beginner what should be a decent price??

5 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 6:05am
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess20

I have never done a wedding cake or a 5 tier cake.

Sounds like it could be a disaster. Have you ever made any tiered cake?

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 7:24am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess20

I have never done a wedding cake or a 5 tier cake.

Sounds like it could be a disaster. Have you ever made any tiered cake?

I have to agree. In looking at your gallery, I see only single layer cakes. A 5 tier is a whole different ballgame. It's a big task to take on, but if you think you're ready to do it, by all means do it. I would research it before you commit to it. This is someone's wedding cake, and you'll want to make sure you know all you can before taking it on.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 8:48am
post #4 of 6

i think you have to do a minimum of double your costs. I know that you probably don't want to overcharge a friend, but remember that they will still be getting a bargain,. a cake that large takes a great deal of effort and expertise. i would start with $2 a slice and then see how that feels to you. if you can live with it, quote the price. if you can't add another $/slice until you feel comfortable with the price.

I would also investigate the thread on SPS stacking system. I am a new convert and it's going to make stacking your cake much easier, and in the long run, it will make you more likely to make another tiered cake.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 1:45pm
post #5 of 6

You will end up making a tiered cake sooner or later, so you might be able to do this one properly. Better to start by making a 2 tier cake a couple of times, to get used to the extra hardware. With good hardware the 5 tier cake becomes just 5 cakes (big but not terrifying).

If you want to make this 5 tier, then ask the customer to buy either the SPS system, or the Crystal Clear separator set. Both systems use the push-in legs that make the very best support system possible. The Crystal Clear gives you separations that look good and hold up very well. Ask them to let you keep the set after their wedding, in lieu of payment for your time. Ask them to buy the pans on the same terms.

My first tiered cake was 3 tiers using the Wilton plates and pillars. I followed the instructions for plastic dowels and had no trouble with the stability for a well chilled buttercream cake at an indoor venue.

If you are making piped flowers, make them from royal icing with piped spikes on the back to stick them into the cake. Otherwise they fall off...very embarassing. This means that you can do them a month ahead and keep them in plastic bins after they dry completely.

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 6

When I first got into cake decorating I had a friend ask me to make her daughter's wedding cake. It would have been my first wedding cake except for the fact that someone asked for one a few weeks before this one was due so I had a 3-tier to practice with.

The friends cake turned out to be a 5-tier but I took a different approach to it since she wanted to use the Wilton Globe set. I have attached the picture of the finished cake.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1808211/mint-greenroyal-purple-jarrett-wedding-cake

Just putting out another option for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%