First Order To Be Shipped! Eek!?

Baking By nataliefstewart Updated 23 Jul 2012 , 4:05pm by nataliefstewart

nataliefstewart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nataliefstewart Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 6

So I usually just bake for fun & I'm still very new at all of this, but after posting some pictures on Facebook, I've had a friend (who lives 5 hours away) ask me to make some decorated sugar cookies for her daughter's birthday in August. I'll have to mail them & it's stressing me out. I've read posts & blogs everywhere about how everyone ships & I feel a little better about attempting the packaging of the cookies. I guess my question is...if the party is on a Sunday...when do I ship!? I want them to be fresh...but I don't want them to be late...Bake on Monday & Ship Wednesday afternoon? I usually bake for friends & family around here & they're eaten by the 2nd day...so I'm REALLY not experienced with making them in advance! HELP!! ...please icon_smile.gif

5 replies
sugarkissed_net Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarkissed_net Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 2:01am
post #2 of 6

Are you shipping them via FedEx or ups so you know for sure when they'll get there? I'd leave yourself a buffer day in case of an issue.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 2:41am
post #3 of 6

I've shipped sugar cookies from Canada to Georgia several times and they've arrived in tact and not stale each time.

The first time I plastic wrapped and then bubble wrapped each cookie (I was paranioid) but the second time, I put each cookie in their own cello bag and then pack the box with bubble and tissue to make sure they were protected and wouldn't move.

The time to ship from here can be 2-3 days if I use prioirity post because I can't afford the overnight shipping. So from backing to arrival was probably 4-5 days and they were just fine. I so ship using a guaranteed delivery service, so when it says 2 business days, that's what it takes. If you're using overnight, then I'd send Wednesday to ensure they were there on time.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 2:45am
post #4 of 6

do NOT use UPS...they are horrible and i have seen stories about shipping with them. just do an over night thing...even though it will be extra it will give you piece of mind. plus, fedex is very nice with their packages

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 10 Jul 2012 , 7:23am
post #5 of 6

I've had a different experience with UPS. They deliver in a very short time and they have arrived perfectly, but I did pack well. I use a Food Saver, but if you don't have one, the bubble packing should be fine. Just make sure nothing in the box can move. Put "Fragile" on all six sides.

If you do have a Food Saver, put a piece of cardboard in the bottom, covered by wax paper, then use the manual setting so that you can stop it before the smash, but they can't move.

nataliefstewart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nataliefstewart Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much!! She needs them for a party on Sunday. So bake & decorate Mon/Tuesday... ship on Wednesday? & they should be there & be fresh for Sunday? Eeek!!! So nervous! I've heard lots of mixed reviews on UPS. I like that FedEx delivers on Saturdays... so if they did get hung up, they still have a chance of getting there on Saturday... unlike with UPS, they would sit in a warehouse during the party!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%