First Time "ganacher" Here...

Decorating By debidehm Updated 5 Jul 2012 , 10:52am by mcaulir

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 9

I've decided to give chocolate ganache a try. I've already made it, and now just getting the nerve up to cover the cake with it! I've never made it before, and have never tasted it before (that is until I tried what I made). It's good...it's rich. I'm just finding myself a little intimidated by the stuff. Does anyone have any tips for me before I do my final walk into the kitchen to start the "cover-up"?

8 replies
Bobeba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bobeba Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 9

are you going to pour it or spread it?

to pour it. i have never done it before, but i have read that you should take some gananche that is spreadable to fill in any holes or indent. then put your cake on a wire rack on top of a cookie sheet and start pouring from the centre. i think that there are some good youtube videos.

to spread it, just wait until it cools and thickens, then spread it like any other frosting.

ganache is yummy!

debidehm Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 9

I was thinking of spreading it since I want to cover with fondant.

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 9

There is a three part YouTube video by inspiredbymichelle that really gives an excellent start to finish explanation of how to do things. I definitely recommend you watching it. Good luck!

trebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trebakes Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 9

I also just made my first batch. Mine is white chocolate ratio is 3:1. It's so SWEET. Hopefully it won't be after it sets. I wanted to cover the whole cake with rosettes made from this stuff. I don't know now. I won't be putting it on the cake until it sets up.

Good luck to both if us. Let me know how yours turns out and I'll do the same icon_smile.gif

Bobeba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bobeba Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 8:56pm
post #6 of 9

I wish I was baking now.

Addictive_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Addictive_desserts Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 9

Have a look at this link,
http://cakesdecor.com/tortacouture/blog/21

debidehm Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 7:25am
post #8 of 9

Finished the cake! It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be! The picture was too big to post here, but is in my gallery. It's the Queen Bee cake. Thanks so much for all the help and advise! I really appreciate it! icon_smile.gif

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 5 Jul 2012 , 10:52am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebakes

I also just made my first batch. Mine is white chocolate ratio is 3:1. It's so SWEET. Hopefully it won't be after it sets. I wanted to cover the whole cake with rosettes made from this stuff. I don't know now. I won't be putting it on the cake until it sets up.

Good luck to both if us. Let me know how yours turns out and I'll do the same icon_smile.gif

Sorry to say, it will taste just the same after it sets.

OP - zap in the microwave for short bursts and stir if it's too stiff, but otherwise, just spread it like any other icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%