Cupcake Icing - Soft Or Hardened?

Baking By IndyTiff Updated 12 Jul 2012 , 7:06pm by DaisyJay

IndyTiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IndyTiff Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 3

Again, I'm new to cupcakes. Do people want cupcake frosting that is soft when they bite into it or is a tad bit hardened okay? The buttercream I make hardens up a bit. Is that okay? This is for a wedding and they will have to be made the night before. Any thoughts?

2 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 3

My buttercream forms a decent crust on it, and its the same one i use for my cupcakes ( i dont make them often mind) but everyone loves it, it holds its shape well and stays soft in the middle icon_smile.gif i think that is certainly okay to have a good firm icing icon_smile.gif

DaisyJay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyJay Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 3

Unfortunately, nobody can win all the people over with one type of buttercream. Some people complain about American being too sweet, crusty, and greasy, others don't like Swiss and Italian because although it's soft, it can taste like a pile of butter. I say stick with what you know and what you know people like.

It sounds like you make American buttercream. I highly suggest that, if you don't already, use ONLY butter in your recipe. Most people are turned off by frosting made with shortening (and I think it's the reason why some don't like American since so many people use shortening in theirs). If the weather will be really hot that day, you COULD get away with half butter/half shortening since the butter would melt.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%