Asking Friend To Pay For Cake!!

Business By Sarah813 Updated 3 Jul 2012 , 7:21pm by Leauna

Sarah813 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarah813 Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 13

Hi guys I was hoping for a little advice!!
I have a friend who I usually do cupcakes for her kids' birthdays for free. We are taking maybe 40 cupcakes done with fondant decorations. Usually I would charge someone around $40 - however I take it as the gift for the party, not a big deal.
However, now this friend is getting married and is asking me to make a filled, 3 tier, square, fondant wedding cake with fresh roses on it. I don't even have square pans, so I am going to have to buy the 3 pans to make this cake, plus not to mention the supplies and roses.
I have no desire to make this cake for free, but she hasn't mentioned anything about paying, and I don't know how to bring it up! I don't even know what I should charge!

Please can I have some advice on how I can subtly bring up the fee and what should I charge her! I'm thinking just the total for supplies?
PLEASE HELP!!!

12 replies
mo_gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mo_gateaux Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 13

That's a tough one... I always cringe when asking friends to pay, but my best friend always says "it's a business, not a charity"
Maybe just say something like, "because this is for a wedding, the process is a bit different. First we would have a tasting, where you tell me a couple flavours you may want. At this meeting if you have any inspiration for your cake, i'd love to see it. We also discuss the number of servings. With this information, I go and price it out, and get back to you with a design and a quote. This way i can make sure that our visions are the same and that you get the cake that you're expecting!"

I always find it easier to do this stuff in email too...
Good luck!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah813

I don't even have square pans....

Let her know you don't own square pans, therefore can't make the cake she wants.

If she still wants you to make the cake, give her a shopping list of everything she needs to purchase (including the pans), and the deadline which you need the supplies delivered to you.

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 13

If you've never made a wedding cake let her know that you wouldn't feel comfortable making one because you would hate for it to turn out bad. Tell her you don't have experience with large pans and would be worried about baking times and it not coming out nice.

If she's a close friend and instead of a gift you can do a cake that would be nice.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 12:56am
post #5 of 13
Quote:

However, now this friend is getting married and is asking me to make a filled, 3 tier, square, fondant wedding cake with fresh roses on it. I don't even have square pans, so I am going to have to buy the 3 pans to make this cake, plus not to mention the supplies and roses.

It's up to you whether you want to buy the pans. Or maybe you feel like suggesting a small cake and cupcakes? At a fair price, of course?

But the bride needs to order the roses and specify "short stems" at the same time that she orders her other flowers...and she will therefore pay for them. The reason is that this is the only way to get the roses to exactly match. Florists are OK with this, they sell the short stems at a discounted price.

So you can raise the subject by saying, "you need to order the roses from your florist". And be prepared with the rest of your discussion.

neekole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neekole Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 1:15am
post #6 of 13

if you make the cake as her wedding gift and don't leave money in the card than I think it should be fine, but if you really don't want to do it just mention that you don't have those pans and maybe that they are expensive, casually.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 1:15am
post #7 of 13
Quote:

Hi guys I was hoping for a little advice!!
I have a friend who I usually do cupcakes for her kids' birthdays for free. We are taking maybe 40 cupcakes done with fondant decorations. Usually I would charge someone around $40 - however I take it as the gift for the party, not a big deal.
I have no desire to make this cake for free, but she hasn't mentioned anything about paying, and I don't know how to bring it up! I don't even know what I should charge!

Please can I have some advice on how I can subtly bring up the fee and what should I charge her! I'm thinking just the total for supplies?
PLEASE HELP!!!

"You know, I handle weddings totally differently from birthdays. First we would need to go over your budget before we can even discuss the design." See what she says and go from there.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 1:44am
post #8 of 13

You to friend: "so what's your budget for the cake?"

Bobeba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bobeba Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 13

I like mo gateaux idea about getting together to see what design she is looking for and to price it out. That lets her know that this is not free.
I just did wedding cupcakes for my brother in law. I was terribly nervous. Besides doing a cake for my Dads small wedding, it was my only wedding. My advice is to sit down your self and see if you want to do this. If you are not comfortable with baking for such a large group then say no. You also don't want to be stressed out at your friends wedding. There are other opportunities to get this experience.
Since you are the cake expert and if you are not doing the cake, offer to go with her looking for cakes at local bakeries.
But I agree, it is difficult charging friends for cakes. But who ever said that it is not a charity but a business is correct. Although hard advice to follow.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 10:55pm
post #10 of 13

Just her that you can't afford to do it for free. No need to be subtle about it, just tell her.

Sarah813 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarah813 Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 12:06am
post #11 of 13

Thanks guys so much for the advice. I finally sent her an email today. I just let her know that of course I would not charge her for labor, however I currently do not have the money to pay for all the supplies myself, especially considering I would need to purchase $50 cake pans. I then asked what her budget was. I haven't heard back yet, but I feel better.
Thanks so much for your advice, I know where to turn from now on if I ever have a cake related issue icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 12:35am
post #12 of 13
Quote:

Thanks guys so much for the advice. I finally sent her an email today. I just let her know that of course I would not charge her for labor, however I currently do not have the money to pay for all the supplies myself, especially considering I would need to purchase $50 cake pans. I then asked what her budget was. I haven't heard back yet, but I feel better.
Thanks so much for your advice, I know where to turn from now on if I ever have a cake related issue icon_smile.gif

Well, don't be surprised if she emails back and says that her budget is $75. Be prepared with this phrase: "I'm sorry, I can't do it for that much. I'll have to pass on this one, I'm sorry I can't help you." Now say that over and over until it just comes out fo your mouth with no effort!

Leauna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leauna Posted 3 Jul 2012 , 7:21pm
post #13 of 13

When I started out and people (friends/family) would ask me to do a wedding cake, I would tell them that I would be happy to make the cake and I would do it for them if they would purchase the ingrediants and the pans (if I didn't have them) and any other supplies. This is a great way to build up your cake supply. Honestly it is how I have ended up with most of my cake pans. And they never minded doing this. They all understood and never expected anything less.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%