How Do I Decorate The Sheet Cake For A Wedding?

Business By bakingmama18 Updated 24 Jun 2012 , 5:15pm by lyndawit

bakingmama18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingmama18 Posted 24 Jun 2012 , 4:16am
post #1 of 5

I have an order for a wedding cake this week, I am making the tiers dummies except for the top. The customer wants to serve the guests from a sheet cake, how do I decorate it? It's a red velvet cake with vanilla buttercream- do I just ice it or do I have to all out decorate??
Thanks!

4 replies
cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 24 Jun 2012 , 5:46am
post #2 of 5

If the cake isn't going to be on display, I would just do simple borders. If you want the cake to look pretty on the plate you could torte the cake into 4 layers, that always looks prettier.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 24 Jun 2012 , 7:02am
post #3 of 5

I have only had to make a kitchen cake for extra servings one time. It was two layers and decorated just like the Bride's cake. When it was served no one know who got Bride's cake or the extra cake. They didn't even know there was an extra cake.

WhistWight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhistWight Posted 24 Jun 2012 , 10:04am
post #4 of 5

For my wedding, we had several half sheet cakes, and they were decorated minimally. Nice border work on the top and bottom, and that was all. The tiered cake was where all the hard work went. After all, that was the one on display, not the sheet cakes. I totally agree with cathyscakes on this one.

lyndawit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndawit Posted 24 Jun 2012 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 5

I used to maitre'd weddings, and alot of bride and grooms would do that... have a beautiful wedding cake that would not be able to serve all the guests, and have the "hidden" sheet cakes in the back to serve. Nobody knew a thing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%