Dusting Gumpaste Flowers, Help!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 21 Jun 2012 , 2:40pm by step0nmi

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 3:04am
post #1 of 7

So, i'm pretty new to the dusting gumpaste flowers thing. I am pretty good at making flowers look sort of good, but then when it comes to the dusting I can see there are places where the petal dust is not taking, crazy lines in my gumpaste, and seeing all the imperfections of the gumpaste.

HELP! I don't have time to redo them and they are for a cake this weekend. I would like to fix what I have and i heard that if you just keep dusting them they will look better...but one of them has that elephant ear look because I must not have made it quick enough icon_sad.gif

what can i do!?

6 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 4:01am
post #2 of 7

Hi, the elephant ear look does sound like taking too long to make the petals. Dust not taking, can be from shortening that got on them. That happens, i know. What name brand dust are you using. If it is wilton, it takes a little more of any color of theirs than other brands. I have wilton(i teach g/p flower classes). I have other brands that take color better. So , what brand are you using., i might can help better. I always steam my flowers after dusting. Makes them shine a little and sets the dust. Wish we could see your flowers. Can you take a pic and send it . Love to help you more. Been making g/p flowers for 17 yrs. Took classes with the best teachers out there. hth

step0nmi Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 4:08am
post #3 of 7

icer101 thanks for the help! I am using the CK petal dust. i think what you're saying about there maybe being some shortening on it where it's not taking the dust could be an issue. right now I don't have my camera to upload pics icon_sad.gif sorry.

if the spots/lines I have don't look better after steaming them, will i still be able to apply dust in those spots to keep them looking nice?

step0nmi Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 4:16am
post #4 of 7

oh, i guess to clarify i mean: lines in my dust on the flower from the brush or possibly applying too much dust in that area. whatever i do...apply more dust and/or use the brush to dust it up....the lines wont come out icon_sad.gif

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 4:49am
post #5 of 7

If you have wrinkles your colored dust will settle into the wrinkles and make them more pronounced, so try dusting your petals with straight cornstarch first, then apply your color. Theoretically, if you've already filled your unwanted ridges and wrinkles with cornstarch then it can help prevent colors from sinking in. Depending on how bad they are there is only so much you can do, but this should help.

Also, don't use straight color - always blend colors with in cornstarch to start light and build up your color gradually.

Hope this helps!

soozicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soozicake Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 10:08am
post #6 of 7

Prior to dusting I dab the brush up & down in the lid after loading a little on the brush. It seams to break up the tiny blobs of dust. If I don't do this I get lines and it looks terrible. To fix I dust with lighter color to tone down then reapply the color. hth

step0nmi Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 2:40pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by soozicake

Prior to dusting I dab the brush up & down in the lid after loading a little on the brush. It seams to break up the tiny blobs of dust. If I don't do this I get lines and it looks terrible. To fix I dust with lighter color to tone down then reapply the color. hth

I do this too! thumbs_up.gif yay doing something right. unfortunately i don't have another lighter color to help this process.

thanks for the advice FromScratch! It's too late for me to do cornstarch but maybe this will help with some of my line/imperfection areas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%