Cookie Icing

Decorating By gedge Updated 20 Jun 2012 , 8:42am by Chellescakes

gedge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gedge Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 6

I am new to cake decorating and am also trying to make cookies as well. I see in the picture gallery that people have cookies so perfectly decorated with icing, how is that done?
What type of icing are people using on their cookies and how are you applying it? I am hosting a baby shower at the end of July and bought a bib and onesie cookie cutter and want to decorate but in the past any icing I use on my sugar cookies is runny and messy looking, help?

5 replies
heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 6

I use royal icing on my cookies. I think it's easy and it tastes great, and I can use tons of shades. Takes forever to dry though. But a lot of people use fondant. I haven't tried that yet, but I think they say to put the fondant on as soon as it comes out of the oven.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 6

I use glace, a mixture of powdered sugar, light corn syrup and milk. It gets hard enough on the surface so that you can stack the cookies, but stays soft on the inside for a good "mouth feel." PM me if you'd like a quick tutorial.

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 6

I use both fondant and royal icing. Fondant is easier for me because I use my cookie cutter to stamp out the shape and apply it to the cookie with a tiny bit of buttercream. I use royal icing to pipe outlines or designs I can't get with fondant. It takes me way too long to pipe 2 dozen cookies with royal icing. Wait for the outline border to dry then to fill with a runny royal icing in the center. Then you need to let the royal icing cookie dry for 24-48hrs. Depends on how much time you want to put aside for this but since I run a home-based business I rarely have time to use royal icing on my cookies. Just not efficient time-wise for me. Some people are faster though with it.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 16 Jun 2012 , 7:11am
post #5 of 6

if you would like an excellent tutorial on cookie icing and technique, check out the 'bake at 350' blog. Just search for these words (bake at 350 royal icing 101) and you will get more than enough information to get started. Follow her links to posts about planning and bagging too! I don't do many cookies, but enough to know that perfect cookies take practice, practice, practice--and even then only the best ones of the batch get photographed and posted.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 20 Jun 2012 , 8:42am
post #6 of 6

I use fondant as well , and also use the same cutter to stamp out the fondant as the cookies. I use either a little runny royal or some sugar syrup to attach the fondant to the biscuits. The best tip I got from one of the demo days I have been to is to cut out the bickies , and pop them into the freezer for 10 minutes before you bake them , they don't spread as much and it is easier to fit the fondant shape more precisely. I use royal icing to complete any little details if I need to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%