Problems Wrapping Fondant Bands Around Large Cakes

Decorating By Pearl645 Updated 10 Jun 2012 , 1:27pm by spring

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 13

Hi everyone,

I've been having a challenging time wrapping 14" round cakes for wedding with fondant bands at the base. I use Satin Ice and I notice by the time I move it from my counter to the cake (2 steps away) the fondant has stretched badly, tears and loses its band shape.

How do you guys work around this? I have also had problems rolling up the fondant bands on my rolling pin because my Satin Ice fondant is very sticky after rolling out on a shortening table. I stopped rolling out Satin Ice on PS for many reasons.

Hope to get some good solutions to this. Right now I have been using a lot of satin ribbon on my wedding cakes because I can't get fondant bands to go around the larger base tiers.

12 replies
Lschreck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lschreck Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 13

I trick I learned from an ICES event, roll your fondant out on the shiny side of freezer paper. Cut the paper and ribbon both then roll them up. When you go to place the fondant ribbon on your cake just unroll it. The freezer paper keeps the shape of the fondant. You can do this an take the ribbon with you, I've done it for on site set up.

Pearl645 Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks! What is freezer paper btw?

3beautygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3beautygirls Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 13

I'm not sure what freezer paper is, but I would think that wax paper, or parchment paper would work the same.

Pearl645 Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 13

I just googled freezer paper. Reynolds makes it. Thanks for the advice. I believe this is also what people use at the back of satin ribbons to glue them onto cakes so the icing won't show through.

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 13

I've had problems with this too and am so excited to hear about this solution! Can't wait to try it today! Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 12:44am
post #7 of 13

I use an acetate strip to transport the rolled out icing , you can cut it to the right size of the cake , it is a little more stable than freezer paper too.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 12:51am
post #8 of 13

Fondant ribbon applicator by The Cake Wheel:

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 12:54am
post #9 of 13

Freezer paper works great for me with the situaltion. It is in groc. store along with the wax, foil and parchmant papers. When i use the fmm alphabet cutters, etc. i use the shiny side of freezer and cut all my decos. works great. No shortening, now p/s . nothing. Love to use it for lots of my work.hth

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 1:03am
post #10 of 13

i vote for the paper transfer too!

Pearl645 Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 3:39am
post #11 of 13

WOW! I just looked at the fondant ribbon applicator link posted above. Amazing solution to my problem. Had no idea that tool existed. Thanks so much!

spring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 1:27pm
post #12 of 13

We cut our fondant strips, dust lightly with powdered sugar, roll it up loosely, put in the freezer for a few minutes and then put it on the cake unrolling as you go. No strectching and easy to apply!

Be sure not to leave the strip in the freezer too long or you will have trouble with breakage.

If you have excess powdered sugar on your ribbon, you can remove it by spraying vodka with your airbrush or use a piece of fondant and rub lightly over the excess powdered sugar.

We also have a short youtube tutorial on our channel if you want to watch.

Minette

spring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring Posted 10 Jun 2012 , 1:27pm
post #13 of 13

We cut our fondant strips, dust lightly with powdered sugar, roll it up loosely, put in the freezer for a few minutes and then put it on the cake unrolling as you go. No strectching and easy to apply!

Be sure not to leave the strip in the freezer too long or you will have trouble with breakage.

If you have excess powdered sugar on your ribbon, you can remove it by spraying vodka with your airbrush or use a piece of fondant and rub lightly over the excess powdered sugar.

We also have a short youtube tutorial on our channel if you want to watch.

Minette

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%