How Do I Attach Peacock Feathers To Trail Down A Cake?

Decorating By Seabiscuit1024 Updated 9 Jun 2012 , 6:17pm by BakingIrene

Seabiscuit1024 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Seabiscuit1024 Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 2:03am
post #1 of 2

Help! I want to try to make a peacock cake with a gumpaste peacock on top of a 6" cake. The 6" cake will sit on top of an 8" or 10" cake. I've seen pictures where the peacock's feathers are trailing down two tiers of a cake and that's what I want to do...but I don't want the feathers "flat"... stuck to the side of the cake. Should I attach the feathers to individual wires or attach them all to thicker long wire that I can secure under the peacock body somehow so that all the feathers just come off one "main" wire? How to I best achieve that look of feathers flowing down the side of the cakes? I will make my feathers out of gumpaste and then paint them...luster dust them. Any suggestions?! icon_smile.gif

1 reply
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 2

Make each feather on a full 12" length of wire and make extras.

At whatever stage you like, wire them together into a bundle that will go 2" deep into the bird body. Cut each wire to the right length to do this. Use a picture of a peacock to get the bundle to the right shape.

Stick this bundle into the backside of the bird 2" deep to make sure it will be supported well. Get the cake to the site and THEN put your bird onto the cake. Finally ajdust the angle of each feather It will look very much like the peacock let his tail down over the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%