Decorating By eruehlman Updated 9 Jun 2012 , 1:20pm by sheilabelle

eruehlman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eruehlman Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone know how to get this effect using buttercream? I thought orginally it would be easy, but after looking it seems the ruffles go UP instead of down. I'm not sure how to get them in the up direction using buttercream.

3 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 4

You hold the icing bag with the wide end of the tip against the cake, and the thin end angling up and slightly outwards at the angle that you want the rufffle to go.

Try this on a cake tin before you start on the cake tier, to get the exact effect you want.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 4

If it isn't already obvious, start at the top and work your way down.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 9 Jun 2012 , 1:20pm
post #4 of 4

There is another thread going right now about the same subject. This is what I posted earlier on that thread

There is a tutorial for this kind of effect on My Cake School . com Melissa Diamond uses buttercream to decorate her cake. This tutorial has the ruffle pointing up,

This one the ruffle is pointing down,

If you want to get the tutorials, there is a yearly subscription fee of $30.00. Well worth it. There are sooooo many tutorials and she explains everything very well

Quote by @%username% on %date%