Silicone Cake Mold

Decorating By bakingnewbie Updated 5 Jun 2012 , 1:14pm by bakingnewbie

bakingnewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingnewbie Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 10:47am
post #1 of 4

Hi
I am asking this question on behalf of my brother, (because being new to baking myself I do not know the answer)

He has bought a silicone castle cake mold for his daughter's birthday. Once he has baked the cake (and hopefully it will show all the details once cooked), he has asked how he decorates it with ganache?

He is unsure if by just pouring the ganache over the cake, that it will not show the details (e.g. brick work etc), once the ganache has set.

Any suggestions on how he can decorate it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
x

3 replies
elisaber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elisaber Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 12:45pm
post #2 of 4

I think adding ganache, or any icing applied, will cover pretty much all the detail of the cake. I myself have always wonderend how you're supposed to use such cake molds - to me it seems they will only show the detail if not covered with anything. Perhaps it's meant to be covered with fondant and the detail re-created on that? Most cakes made in Wilton shaped/character pans will also lose their details/definition if not enhanced by the buttercream or fondant put on it.

cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 4

I agree ^^^^ I just did a cake where my friend bought a Falcons helmet after I plopped the cake out the Falcon was barely there. After the icing was applied he was gone. I then recreated him out of fondant. I would say a lot of detail will be lost.

bakingnewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingnewbie Posted 5 Jun 2012 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much for your replies.

That is what we had both already thought......the details would disappear!

I have seen on the net where someone used something similar, but filled their's with chocolate!!!! I am a chocoholic, but i think even that would be way too much for me! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%