How Many Mini Cupcakes In A Cupcake?

Business By BlueSkyGirl Updated 11 Feb 2016 , 3:18pm by BeeBakes

BlueSkyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueSkyGirl Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 12:14am
post #1 of 17

Hey Everyone,

I haven't done mini cupcakes before and I have a couple of requests for a price quote on minis. Before i can quote I must know:

How may mini cupcakes would batter for a dozen standard make?

Thanks!

16 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 12:32am
post #2 of 17

Mini-cupcakes are about a third the size of a regular cupcake, so it should make 36.

BlueSkyGirl Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 1:01am
post #3 of 17

Thanks! Do you find you use about a 1/3 of the icing of a standard cupcake also?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 1:21am
post #4 of 17

I was gonna say the same thing, 1=3. Probably about the same for icing.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 1:36am
post #5 of 17

My minis are 1/2.

BlueSkyGirl Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 1:53am
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

My minis are 1/2.

Do you use the standard mini tins that you can get everywhere or do you have custom tins?

P.S. I love your work. I have seen your website and you were my first LIKE when I set up my face book page.

FromScratchSF Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 2:01am
post #7 of 17

LOL thanks!

These are the pans I use:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=chicago+metallic+mini+muffin+pan&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1920&bih=947&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6047207503697967274&sa=X&ei=zhXMT9LOPKro2QWFronaCw&sqi=2&ved=0CNIBEPMCMAM

I completely hate making those micro mini cupcakes. I know that's what everyone else makes so I'm probably shooting myself in the foot because I'm "giving away" cake for the same retail price, but then again the tiers to my cakes are 4.5 to 5" tall - and everyone else's are only 3.5 to 4" for the same retail price.

FromScratchSF Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 2:02am
post #8 of 17
BlueSkyGirl Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 2:11am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I completely hate making those micro mini cupcakes. I know that's what everyone else makes so I'm probably shooting myself in the foot because I'm "giving away" cake for the same retail price, but then again the tiers to my cakes are 4.5 to 5" tall - and everyone else's are only 3.5 to 4" for the same retail price.

No that makes complete sense, the actual cake is the least of my expenses but its the product that the customer is buying. I didn't even want to make those minis but people keep asking.

So this 24 Chicago Metallic Mini pan will fill up with batter for a dozen standards?

FromScratchSF Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 2:18am
post #10 of 17

Yup. I fill my cupcakes by weight, my standard cupcakes have 1.6 oz. batter, my minis have .8 oz. I use 3 1/2" Reynolds baking cups.

The standard micro minis are only 3".

BlueSkyGirl Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 2:30am
post #11 of 17

OK thanks, that is really helpful. I just saw a pic on your website of a mini next to a standard and it does look way better than those tiny ones.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it since I am just starting out with my business.

BlueSkyGirl Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 2:39am
post #12 of 17

BTW one other thing, on the cover photo on your facebook page, the middle cake, what is the swirl decoration made from?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 4:32am
post #14 of 17

I do micros and minis, but I charge a premium. My minis are 1/3 standard and micros about 1/4. But I price them based on my tulip cups, so I am getting a premium.

I do them because it was part of my business plan. I'm not a great cake decorator, so it doesn't take away from my time. Plus, I set up my business, even my wholesale accounts, to make $XX per hour. No matter what I do, I make the same.

I have a good segment of my business in corporate accounts and dessert buffets. Both usually require mini desserts. But again, this was my plan and I priced accordingly.

For example, any cheesecake can be made into minis for a $10.00 premium over the cost of the cheesecake. I takes me only a few minutes to put the crust in the cavities over one 9 inch pan. Then the baking time is less plus no water bath. So I make even more money on the minis. Same with cupcakes. I have tons of pans and can make even large orders in one to two runs through the ovens. With the few minutes of baking time and the quick squirt with a big (1C) star tip, I can do these very quickly.

So my best advice is that if you want to offer them, invest in as many pans as your oven(s) can hold and know how many minis your recipes will make based on all of the ratios in the posts on this thread. Then make sure you have transportation (I use the same under bed boxes that transport my regular sizes), and put a premium price on the product. Make sure your minimums are set, probably 3x the minimum of cupcakes, and you are ready to sell.

By the way, I top my minis with M & M's. I use single colors or multi. It's easy to get them to coordinate with the flavor or the decor. Example, green on Key Lime, or blue and yellow on WVU theme.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 5:00am
post #15 of 17

2 minis in 1 cupcake. I use the slightly larger 1 1/2 x 1 mini liners. They do not fit in the regular pans in the store. The 'regular' mini has a diameter of 1 1/4 inches.

2LittleFishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2LittleFishies Posted 11 Feb 2016 , 12:49pm
post #16 of 17

I know this is a while ago, but I am wondering where you get the liners for the Nordicware Petite Muffin Pans?  I have liners from Papermart that are too large for standard mini pans (they don't sit down into the pan) but seem too small for the petite pans!  They sides don't touch and they are kind of high.  Are these okay?56bc837281207.jpeg56bc8372db324.jpeg

Below are same liners in standard mini pan but they down push down into the pan.  I had to get grocery store liners for the standard pan .  

56bc837365364.jpeg

BeeBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBakes Posted 11 Feb 2016 , 3:18pm
post #17 of 17

have you tried putting batter in them? My liners seem kind of the same; a little high and don't sit down until i put the batter in them. 

When I use my tall liners I put a little more batter in them, who doesn't love a little more cake ;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%