Clouds

Decorating By astokes2 Updated 3 Jun 2012 , 8:38am by escaliba1234

astokes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
astokes2 Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 6

Hey guys.. I'm trying to figure out the best way to make realistic looking clouds for a plane cake. Was thinking of microwaving marshmallow so that they puff up and then placing them on the cake... anyone ever done this or anyone have any advice?

5 replies
Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 6

Theres several ways to do it. Are they going to be 3D or 2D? Buttercream or Royal Icing is an easy way with a circle tip. You can also use fondant rolling it into balls. Google fondant clouds you can get a lot of great ideas.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 6

Cotton candy can be nice.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 1:38am
post #4 of 6

I've used cotton candy, as clouds around my jet fighter (in my gallery) and Santa's beard. A word of caution though, it starts to dissolve into the icing so put it on as late as possible and have some to spare! Of course everyone eats it first anyway!

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 3:02am
post #5 of 6

Hello icon_smile.gif I hope this link helps you.

http://www.mysweetandsaucy.com/2009/10/goodies-galore/

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

CIAO!

escaliba1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
escaliba1234 Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 8:38am
post #6 of 6

I had to make dozens of clouds to put around the sides of a large, square cake.
They had to be very striking and cloudy; the cake was for a company promoting some product whose name included the word 'cloud'.
I was busy looking at all sorts of cloud patterns via google, when I rembered an elderly set of scroll cutters that a friend had given me. They made the most perfect fondant clouds and I was delighted with the result. More importantly, so was the company! icon_smile.gif
But of course, it will depend if you wish for 2D or 3D clouds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%