Cake Tin Core In The 3-D Bear Wilton Pan?

Decorating By sharc Updated 29 May 2012 , 5:35am by cheatize

sharc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharc Posted 28 May 2012 , 11:14am
post #1 of 6

Ok brginner baker here... ..so I'm having horrors with this tin, and after a nasty spilling scene with the baking, and then after finally getting it to work on the 2nd try (with the core), I have a question - is the cake more unsteady now? I'm aiming to make the baby diver cake for a shower this week, and had planned on cutting it into layers and filling with the raspberry chambord filling I saw on here... but is that what the core is supposed to be there for?

I know I sound a bit not-so-smart asking this, but.... I have a hole in my cake..., uhmmm... what am I supposed to do? Please don't say remake... I'm seriously tired of this tin!!!

5 replies
mazamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazamarie Posted 28 May 2012 , 11:58am
post #2 of 6

I've used that tin once. As far as I know the core is to help ensure the cake is baked evenly and when I baked it I also filled the core with cake mixture so that I could use that cake to fill the hole.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 May 2012 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 6

I have made this cake many times...I either fill the core with jelly beans and icing or fill with extra cake.I wouldn't cut/torte it as it makes it unstable.Believe or nat it is a very sturdy cake once baked..You may also try using a pudding mix with the cake batter as it makes the cake a bit more dense and durable.

Little1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Little1 Posted 28 May 2012 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 6

I also fill the core with cake batter and then use that cake to plug the hole after it's baked. I also learned the messy way that the pan requires a thick batter. After baked, the cake is very sturdy, but I have never torted and filled it. I'm not sure I would attempt that... Please let us know how if goes if you do! Good luck with it!!! icon_smile.gif

laurabeth73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurabeth73 Posted 28 May 2012 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 6

Oh my friend, I feel you with this tin! I have nightmares every time someone requests it. Everytime I make it I always put cake batter in the core also. I wouldn't forte it either. I think it would make even more of a nightmare for you to be honest. Best of luck to you! Please let me know how everything turns out for you. icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 29 May 2012 , 5:35am
post #6 of 6

I'm another one who bakes cake in the core even though the directions don't tell you to.

A tip for this tippy pan:
Crumple aluminum foil. Put the pan inside another pan and pack the foil tightly around the bear.

The flap on the pan isn't sturdy at all and bends on a whim. After a third toppling episode, I tried it with the foil and another pan. It works great for me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%