Fondant Brands...

Decorating By nametaken Updated 26 May 2012 , 1:37pm by nametaken

nametaken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nametaken Posted 26 May 2012 , 2:31am
post #1 of 6

Are there any brands of pre-made fondant that actually taste good? I like Duff but it's really expensive. I've tried Wilton but I can barely choke it down and really don't want to sacrifice taste for savings.

5 replies
SRumzis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SRumzis Posted 26 May 2012 , 6:51am
post #2 of 6

I prefer homemade MMF, it's really not difficult, but if you are set on premade, I would definitely go Duff, as it's the most novice friendly IMO. Use a 40% off coupon and get it at Michaels, it's really not too bad if you do that. I found the orange version on clearance there so I loaded up! You can make a nice red or brown from an orange starter. Tangent! Hth!

escaliba1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
escaliba1234 Posted 26 May 2012 , 11:35am
post #3 of 6

I seem to get such varying results using fondant.
Last week I covered a cake in fondant and everything went perfectly fromt start to finish.
Three days later, using the same type of fondant, I did another cake and the results were shocking. I had to remove all the fondant in the end and go for other options.
I am rather puzzled as to why this happens; it is not the first time by a long shot.
Some days it rolls out easily and smooths onto the cake in minutes.
Other times I can work for hours for no results.
Input most welcome, please.

escaliba1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
escaliba1234 Posted 26 May 2012 , 11:36am
post #4 of 6

I seem to get such varying results using fondant.
Last week I covered a cake in fondant and everything went perfectly fromt start to finish.
Three days later, using the same type of fondant, I did another cake and the results were shocking. I had to remove all the fondant in the end and go for other options.
I am rather puzzled as to why this happens; it is not the first time by a long shot.
Some days it rolls out easily and smooths onto the cake in minutes.
Other times I can work for hours for no results.
Input most welcome, please.

Prima Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prima Posted 26 May 2012 , 12:21pm
post #5 of 6

There was a thread recently in which one of the CC members did a head-to-head test & review of different fondant brands. You might want to check it out:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-744158.html

Also, From ScratchSF's blog, beyond buttercream, has a review of different fondants, as well.

http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/09/05/fondant-massa-throwdown/

nametaken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nametaken Posted 26 May 2012 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%