Making A Stained Glass Window

Decorating By Cakeabilitygreen Updated 23 May 2012 , 10:23pm by Formynana

Cakeabilitygreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeabilitygreen Posted 22 May 2012 , 12:30pm
post #1 of 9

My idea is to make 4 stained glass windows to clad a square cake. I want to make the leaded window from sugar paste and fill the 'panes' with coloured sugar syrup. Has anyone tried this technique or is there another method to achieve a transluscent effect?

8 replies
KarlaGJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarlaGJ Posted 22 May 2012 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 9

I can't get the photo to load, but if you click on my gallery you'll see a stained glass cake, for which I used tinted piping gel. The white base for the glass pane and the lead portions are fondant.

Perhaps the hot sugar syrup might melt the fondant?

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 22 May 2012 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 9

if you're interested, Kimberly Chapman has developed a tutorial for making stained glass out of gelatin:

http://www.eat-the-evidence.com/2012/05/16/flexible-edible-stained-glass-ebook-now-available/

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 23 May 2012 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 9

If you want to use hot sugar candy then make a royal icing frame and dry it completely. Or a cookie frame (I suspect you are thinking of the stained glass cookies that have candy that melts in the oven).

Pouring candy precisely takes LOTS and LOTS of practise as well as a design with few corners. Pipe the outlines with royal icing onto sheets of gelatin, and use piping gel which does slowly crust, and you will neither burn yourself nor waste your time. These windows will stand up or can be glued into standing buildings if necessary.

If you want to use candy, then make sheets of that for your base instead of gelatin. But you MUST keep the pieces in a dessicator to make sure they don't start leaking when they absorb humidity.

Formynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Formynana Posted 23 May 2012 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 9

We used to use lifesavors. Melted them in a design in the oven and let them cool. If its an abstract shape you can do this, break up the pieces and put them together with royal icing. Pretty and yummy too ! icon_smile.gif

Cakeabilitygreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeabilitygreen Posted 23 May 2012 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks everyone for the posts, i will give it a go one way or another (not sure if some of the products are available in the UK or maybe its just unfamliar terminology(lifesavors?)) At least i know it is possible. Fingers crossed icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 May 2012 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 9

I use crushed sour balls in silicone molds.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 May 2012 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 9

I use crushed sour balls in silicone molds. That's how I did these butterflies: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/995093/basket-of-pink-roses-cake

Formynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Formynana Posted 23 May 2012 , 10:23pm
post #9 of 9

"Lifesavers" in the US are a type of hard candy that is in the shape of a ships lifesavor ring. Any type of hard candy crushed and melted may also work - Good luck !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%