Metallic Cake?

Decorating By annakat444 Updated 17 May 2012 , 2:53am by Jackie_S

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 16 May 2012 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all! I've been asked to make a cake for my friend's mom's 50th birthday surprise party. She said the theme of the party is gold and pearls. I saw this website a while ago with several pictures of metallic cakes and just wondering how to do this? Is it just buttercream? Thanks!!

http://www.bellethemagazine.com/2011/08/metallic-cakes.html#.Tw3JkXHRA0k

6 replies
annakat444 Posted 16 May 2012 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 7

Let me Clarify - I'm talking specifically about the first cake on that site, although I'd like to know in general how to do this for future reference too.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 17 May 2012 , 12:58am
post #3 of 7

to me that looks like buttercream and then sprayed with metallic lustre from an airbrush or can.

annakat444 Posted 17 May 2012 , 1:24am
post #4 of 7

Thanks that's what I was thinking too - at first i was thinking there was a way to make the icing gold but I guess its easier to airbrush. Some of those other cakes look like they used gold/silver leaf, right?

quietude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quietude Posted 17 May 2012 , 1:50am
post #5 of 7

The two with the silver bases look like they were done with silver leaf. I really like the metallic look, I plan to order some gold & silver leaf to experiment with soon!

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 17 May 2012 , 2:24am
post #6 of 7

Yep the other ones are done with silver leaf , if you have a look in my photos ,I just did one for my niece's wedding.
You really need the fondant to cure for a least two to three days before putting on the leaf .
I used a damp cloth to dampen the area for the leaf to be attached it has to be tacky for the leaf to adhere.
It is fiddly and I have decided that an extra charge of Two hundred dollar per tier will be charged if I have to do it for a client.

Jackie_S Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie_S Posted 17 May 2012 , 2:53am
post #7 of 7

Where would you go to find gold/silver leaf?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%