To Label Or Not To Label...

Business By crushed Updated 16 May 2012 , 6:55am by scp1127

crushed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crushed Posted 14 May 2012 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 9

I operate under the cottage food law in Michigan. I have an order for 100 cupcakes for a client who wants to give them away, individually boxed. Am I required to label each box or just provide the label info to the client?


8 replies
cakemama2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama2010 Posted 14 May 2012 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 9

Only the state of Michigan can tell you for sure, but I would guess that if YOU are boxing them you should have separate labels, but if you're just selling the bride 100 cupcakes and SHE is boxing them...well I would just do one label.

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 14 May 2012 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 9

I don't have an answer for you (Sorry!) There are many people that sell individually wrapped cake pops to just one person. I highly doubt they label each one just because they are individually wrapped....but that doesn't mean they aren't supposed to. I hope you get an answer....I'd like to know too! icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 15 May 2012 , 10:28am
post #4 of 9

In most jurisdictions, boxing and just adding a bow to a bag is not a package. They are not airtight and are still considered "unpackaged".

Also, this distinction usually occurs in a sales situation where the baker is not the final seller. It has to do with direct contact between baker and final purchaser.

So if it is not sealed or not being re-sold, it doesn't fall under the two labeling criteria that most places have.

But, final say is with your CFL requirements. Check with the proper authorities.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 15 May 2012 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 9

If the law is similar to the Texas Cottage Food Law, you can just hand the notice to your customer when the delivery is made.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 15 May 2012 , 5:41pm
post #6 of 9

You also might want to clarify with the customer, they may be expecting each individual box to be labeled.

cowboy61s_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowboy61s_girl Posted 15 May 2012 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 9

I would just provide the client with a label. That is your customer. I just took a class on the cottage food law a couple weeks ago and It has some touchy thing on how to go about the labeling on situations like this. And they made very clear that it would depend on what they are being used for If you tell me is it a bride a donation or what the situation is I can probably help a little more.

crushed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crushed Posted 16 May 2012 , 2:14am
post #8 of 9

The cupcakes aren't being resold. They are being given away by the customer as thank yous. They encouraged me to label them with my logo and website as a means of advertising.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 16 May 2012 , 6:55am
post #9 of 9

No matter what the law is, to protect yourself, at least an allergy label should be included.

Quote by @%username% on %date%